Monday, December 3, 2007

Tis the Season!

I'm not sure what it is about the holiday season that seems to make kids so excited that they start to act crazy but my two kids have definitely been out of sorts. We had a particularly horrible day about a week ago.

Megan lost the liner to her jacket and now that it is really cold here in Chicago, she's basically freezing to death at recess. After school one day, I decided to take her to the Gap to get a new coat. She's always been picky about her clothing so I wasn't really surprised when she hated all the coat options that were presented to her. Instead, Megan had her eye on a "cool" pair of gloves that she decided she wanted. She proceeded to tell me how everyone at school has these gloves and how she had to have them. Seeing as how we entered the store for a coat, not gloves, I said, "no way"! Then right before my eyes, she proceeded to start yelling and jumping up and down in the Gap exactly like a 2-year old spoiled brat. In my head I am thinking, "This is not my child. She must be possessed." I feel my cheeks getting flush with embarrassment as the store clerks are looking in our direction. I looked at her and said through clenched teeth, "We are leaving RIGHT NOW!" In response, she planted her feet, crossed her arms and looked me in the eye and said, "Not until I get my gloves. I'm NOT leaving."

In my mind, I'm thinking of a few options since now I am not only embarrassed, I am really angry. But since beating your children has never been my thing (ha ha), I opt for telling her "Fine. I'll see ya later" and walked out the door leaving her in the Gap. Of course, as I suspected, she came running out screaming like a lunatic. I just had to get out of the store and back in the car. I was D-O-N-E!

So, then later in the day, Jack and I go to get Megan from her Religious Education class and for some reason, Jack was bit by the same crazy bug as Megan from earlier in the day. Jack decided that he didn't want to wear his shoes or coat (in the freezing cold) so he took them off in the car. As I pulled into the church parking lot, he was now coatless and shoeless. I opened the car door to get him out so we could go retrieve Megan. As I grab a shoe to put it back on his foot, he decided it would be a good idea to start climbing under the seat to get away from me. Immediately, I can feel my anger flaring up and as irony would have it, there I was, in the church parking lot, yelling at Jack to "get back here!" and I started grabbing at his shirt from under the seat of the car and literally dragged him out of the car. So I finally get his shoes on, and didn't even bother with the coat (it's 20 degrees out) and I began walking straight for the door. Jack was begging me to carry him but I also was carrying two bags of clothes to donate so I had my hands full. Jack sat down right on the sidewalk because he decided he was "tired". So, as I did with Megan earlier in the day, I said "fine" and walked into he church without him, leaving him on the sidewalk. And as Megan did, Jack started screaming bloody murder and ran into the church and began yelling at the top of his lungs "I WANT MY MOMMY". Mind you, I was around the corner and could see him the entire time as I put my clothes donation in the basket. Then I hear a female voice say "Little boy, are you lost?" Uh oh, I think to myself and peeked my head around the corner to match a face to the voice. I happened to be the Nun from our church. "I'm right here" I called out as I looked around the corner. She responded, "Oh, so I see we are having a bit of a temper tantrum." I smiled as sweetly at possible and said, "It appears so."

As I later relayed this series of events to Jay, his succinct response was as follows:

"They are dominating you."
I fear he may be correct.

No comments: