Sunday, March 2, 2008

Ah, Yes...An Uncomfortable Moment in the Checkout Line at Target


I love Target. I really, really do. However, I can't seem to escape the place without spending at least $200. I always go in for one thing and come out with way more than I need. And the dollar aisle??? Forget about it! Since I rely on Target so heavily, I don't want anything to occur that would make it uncomfortable for me to continue returning to that wonderful establishment. Yesterday we were in the checkout line and the man checking us out was nice enough, but he had well, not a speech impediment really, more of a slow talker. It's hard to describe but his voice reminded me of when I was young and would take my record player and change it from the normal speed to the slow speed (the 33 RPM setting, I believe). At any rate, I see Jack staring at him out of the corner of my eye and then I hear Jack comment,"That guy is weird. That guy's voice sounds weird."

I turned to Jack, gave him my best evil eye and said quietly through clenched teeth, "Ja-ack!" Jack straightened up and to try to recover from his inappropriate comment said, "Sorry Momma...That guy's voice just isn't that interesting. It sounds like he's sleepy. He has a sleepy voice."

No comments: