Sunday, March 9, 2008

We're Just Fine, Thanks

Megan was "Star of the Week" last week. This is the one week of the school year where a kid gets the chance to brag. We spent the prior weekend creating photo timelines, posters of her favorite things and selecting which of her belongings she wanted to show off to her class. Since there was so much stuff, we decided it might be best if I drive her to school instead of having her lug all the stuff on the bus. Monday was really crummy; We had a ton of snow from a previous snowstorm still on the ground but on this particular day, it was raining pretty hard. This caused some of the snow to begin to melt, mingle with the mud below and, because of the cold temperatures, create a layer of ice over the top of the snow.

We pulled up to the school and parked on the street about half a block away. I got out of the driver's side and went around to the passenger side to let Megan out. There was a slight hill on the passenger side and I almost slipped and fell as I rounded the car but was able to catch my balance. I opened the umbrella to shield us from the now pouring rain, and in the other hand grabbed the bag of "Star of the Week" stuff. As I stepped backwards up the hill to let Megan get out of the car, I started to slip and with both hands full of crap, there was no way to save myself from going down. I ended up laying on the muddy ground, flat on my back, in my WHITE down coat. In an effort to make sure the stuff didn't get wet, I held up both of my hands and tried to shield the bag in one hand with the umbrella that was in the other.

And then there was Megan- she took one step out of the car, slipped on the ice and fell face first down on top of me. So there we were, the two of us laying on the side of the road in the pouring rain with cars whizzing by watching us. I couldn't help but start to laugh. One woman passing by called out, "Hey are you okay?" and I responded from my prone position, "Yup, we're just fine, thanks!"

Megan and I were finally able to get ourselves back to a standing position. I felt pretty proud that the stuff was still in great condition and Megan didn't seem to have sustained any permanent damage. I, on the other hand, was a bit of a mess. My pants and part of my coat had wet mud all over it but I continued to walk towards the school determined not to be embarrassed, regardless of my appearance. I truly hoped Megan would understand the motherly sacrifice I just made but instead, she looked down at the quarter sized wet spot on her pants and said, "Mom! My pants are wet! I can't go to school like this."

My reply... "Oh yes you can!"

No comments: