Thursday, April 10, 2008

The call you don't want to get from pre-school

I just dropped Jack of at school less than 30 minutes ago. Suddenly my phone rings and I notice on my caller ID that Jack's school is calling. This can't be good. My mind starts racing thinking of the possibilities. He seemed okay this morning so I would be surprised if he got sick within 30 minutes of being there. Then I started thinking perhaps he had an accident. Yes, that must be it so I grabbed the phone and here is what took place:

Me (frantically): "Hello?"
School Spokesperson: "Hi, Jen? It's me, XX from the school."
Me: "Hi there..."
SS: "Everything is okay. Jack is okay but I wanted to call you to tell you about an "incident" we had this morning with Jack."
Me (thinking- Oh man, he did have an accident. I wonder if there was blood.) "OK..."
SS: "Jack was up in the loft area this morning with another boy..."
Me (thinking- OMG he must have fallen off the loft. Surely there is blood and lots of it. I wonder where the ambulance took him.) "Uh huh..."
SS: "And the boys decided they wanted to pretend they were going potty."
Me: (thinking- ok no accident so that is great but I have a feeling the rest of this conversation is going to be somewhat awkward) "Uh huh..."
SS: "So the boys pulled their pants down and started to pretend to go potty and the teacher saw them and stopped it."
Me: "Um, wow. Sorry about that."
SS: "No, don't be sorry. I'm sure it was innocent. But we sat them down and discussed how you only go potty in the potty..."
Me: (thinking- Great. Now she thinks we are a bunch of savages that let Jack pee willy nilly all around the house) "Right."
SS: "And that you should keep your pants on at all times."
Me: (thinking- And the hits just keep on coming. She apparently also thinks we let Jack run around here like we live in a nudist colony. Even if I was open to walking around naked, Megan has definitely humbled me in that area since she makes a point every time she sees me in my underwear to tell me it's "disgusting") "Sure..."
SS: "So we just wanted to call you to make you aware of the situation because we are sure it will be a topic of conversation at your house tonight."
Me: (trying to get off the phone as soon as possible) "Great. Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

So there you have it. Definitely one of the top 5 calls I never want to get from Jack's preschool and it happened. I'm sure it was innocent just like the school said but I can't help but be left with visions of those two little boys, half naked, probably standing way too close to each other and the teachers look of shock on her face.

No comments: