Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The chicken or the egg


One of my larger parenting mistakes (so far) deals with clothing. Bottom line- Jack doesn't like jeans. He's definitely a sweat pants kind of guy. It's like he's a miniature George Costanza and his life's ambition is to be draped in velvet. When I say "doesn't like jeans" that is a bit of an understatement. It's a battle I'm just not willing to fight. It usually turned into a wrestling match with me yelling at Jack, "Just put them on! Come on now. Stop, Stop! Don't you DARE take those pants off. No, Jack. That's ridiculous. The jeans aren't too cold and they are not too itchy. Just leave them ON! Because I said so!" As an outsider looking in, one might think I dipped the jeans in some type of acidic solution prior to chasing Jack down the hall and cornering him to put the jeans on.

When Megan made the astute observation that Jack doesn't like jeans, I mentioned that I didn't think Jack even had a pair of jeans that fit anymore. "Why not?" Megan asked. I thought for a moment and said, "Well, he grew out of all his jeans and I didn't bother to buy him more. He doesn't like to wear them. He only likes sweat pants. So, it's kind of like the chicken or the egg. I'm not sure if he doesn't like jeans because he doesn't have any, or if he doesn't have any because he doesn't like jeans."

Jack then weighed in with his opinion. "I'm the egg and the chicken is the jeans. Isn't this a crazy conversation?"

No comments: