Monday, April 14, 2008

Let me guess

This morning as I was packing Megan's lunch for school she asked, "How come you don't write notes on my napkin like all the other mom's do?" Huh? Apparently I missed the boat on this one. I didn't realize there was some unwritten rule that notes on napkins were mandatory. I started to feel guilty for a moment and then stopped myself. I had set the correct expectations this past weekend with Megan about winning "Mother-of-the-year" status. When she told me after our cleaning binge that I wasn't going to win Mother-of-the-year, I retorted, "Well, it's not my life's ambition to win Mother-of-the-year." (lie). So I thought for a moment, and came up with this response to her question, "Um, hmmm. Uh, I don't know." As my co-workers from London would say, Brilliant!

As Megan wandered out of the kitchen to go get dressed, she said, "Let me guess, you are probably going to write a note on the napkin now, right?" That is her new phrase "Let me guess" and she uses it as a way to get around being vulnerable and directly asking for what she wants. So for instance...

Let me guess, you want to tape this = Please video tape what I'm doing.
Let me guess, you want me to show you my artwork= I want to show you my art.
Let me guess, you are going to go get Daddy to come out here and see this= Go get Daddy, I want to show him what I am doing.
Let me guess, you are going to write this down= I want you to put this in your blog.

You get the idea. So, of course I wrote a note on the napkin. How could I not? But knowing me, laziness will prevail and I'll probably stop putting a napkin in her lunch so I don't have to keep figuring out what to write on a napkin. I'm sure wiping her mouth on her sleeve will be just as effective. ;)

No comments: