Sunday, May 11, 2008

In honor of Me- er, I mean Mother's Day

So today is Mother's Day. I always feel a mix of joy and sadness on this particular day. Joy for the fact that I am a mother and have two hilarious (in my opinion) kids; And sadness that my mother passed away about two weeks before I realized I was pregnant with Megan. She never got a chance to meet my kids and now that Megan is getting older, she often asks about my mom. I sometimes find myself struggling to answer the questions Megan has about my mother. Many times I ache at the fact that I was still so self-absorbed when she passed that I never really took the opportunity to find out more detail about my mother- who she was, more about her childhood, her thoughts on life in general etc.

Megan and Jack also ask to hear stories about my childhood as well. The problem there is that, well, I wasn't the best kid... I was actually pretty awful for a good period of my teenage years so I'm purposely NOT telling them about a good chunk of my life at this point. And secondly, my memory of my early childhood isn't the best and since my mom's not around to help fill in the gaps, I have about 8-10 stories that I seem to retell over and over...BORING!

So, that said and in response to the Crazy Eights tag from Erica over at Tales from the Tracks, I'm going to take a stab at 8 facts about myself.

1) Once when I was 4, my mom had the flu and was very ill. I insisted that she take me to pre-school and wouldn't let up on her until she drove me to pre-school with a barf bucket in her lap the whole way. When she initially refused, I told her to let my big brother drive me (he was 8).

2) My three biggest irrational fears in life are flying, bees and tornadoes.

3) Even at my age, I still wonder what I'm going to be when I grow up.

4) When I was in Jr. High, I had some delusions about being a model. Although I would put myself in the "mildly pleasant to look at category",I would say my modeling career was thwarted early on by a few things:
a) I was about 5 feet 2 inches tall at the time (until I shot to almost 5'8" when I was a Junior in High School)- well before Kate Moss paved the way for shorter models.
b) It was the early 1980's and in my "test shots" (side note- test shots= Dad taking pics of me in our dining room w/ sub-optimal lighting) I wore neon. Oh yeah, you heard me... a HUGE over sized neon sweatshirt with big numbers on it in varying sizes and neon colors.
c) My hairstyle was a mullet- enough said.
d) My pictures never actually made it to the magazine that was running the model search contest. For three days in a row I kept finding my envelope, opened in the snow in my front yard. After day 3, the pictures were pretty water stained and I came to the realization that either the universe, or my mailman were trying to give me a clue that modeling wasn't going to be in my future.

5) I was a gymnast for 12 years until my knees, and my lack of social life got to me. I actually attribute my hatred of Halloween to my gymnastic career. I used to have practice until 9 at night, every night of the week and by the time I would get home on Halloween, all my friends had gone home and the approved neighborhood timeline would be over. For a couple years there, I tried to get a little bit of candy and went as a gymnast to a few houses that still had their lights on but it was more pathetic than fun.

6) If I flare my nostrils, I have a dimple in my chin (like John Travolta) that simultaneously moves in and out.

7) My first memory that it's painful when you don't get what you want in the romance department was in Junior High. We were at our school roller skating party and the lights went out. I went skating around to find the object of my affection and rolled right over him and a classmate of mine as they were having their own private make out session... ouch! Still to this day when I hear the song "Sister Christian" by Night Ranger, I vividly remember that moment.

8) I'm embarrassed to admit it but I am a reality TV junkie. It's one of my guilty pleasures. Although, just last season I started to realize that maybe I am too old to watch the Real World. Instead of picturing myself on the show and the type of character I would be while I partied with wild abandon, I now find myself picturing Megan or Jack on that show and thinking about how I would kill them if they ever behaved like that; And how it would be difficult for them to find a job with a stint on the Real World on their resume.

2 comments:

Erica said...

Thanks for sharing! I loved the modeling shots story...I remember, back in the day, when I used to wear my neon hoop earrings and thought I was just about the most fashionable thing going!

1stopmom said...

I love the title. I had the same realization about Real World myself. It really hit me when I asked my husband "Do you remember the first season when the roommates did not even have food? The lastest roommates do not know how good they have it!"

Happy Mother's Day.