Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Yearbook

Yesterday:

Phone rings.
Me: "Hello?"
Megan: "Mommy? Um, I forgot that um, we were like, um supposed to um, bring our yearbooks to school so um everyone in our class could like um, sign them."
Me thinking- Oh man, this could be something that scars her for life if she doesn't have her yearbook signed and she's the only kid in 1st grade without her yearbook. Of course I'll jump in the car immediately and take it to her.
Me: "Okay honey. I'll be there in 5 minutes with your yearbook."

Today:

Phone rings.
Me: "Hello?"
Megan: "Mommy? Um, I didn't realize that um, today we are going to um, go to the other classes with um our yearbook and like have them sign our yearbooks."
Me thinking- Oh man, are you kidding me??? Two days in a row?
Me: "Okay honey. I'll be there in 5 minutes with your yearbook."
Me wondering- I wonder if she will ever remember this moment. It's small and probably insignificant to her but it's because I can work from home when I'm not traveling that I can tell her, I'll be there in 5 minutes- and mean it. I remember on a number of occasions my mom coming to rescue and bringing me my lunch, or other things I forgot. It wasn't until I became a mother that I was able to process those little actions and truly appreciate them.

1 comment:

Elisa said...

That's so true. I think I have never loved my mom more than I have since I became a mom myself! And my dad, too. He was always so ready to help. Gotta love parents :-)