Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I'm officially uncool


Megan's birthday is coming up this weekend. I can't believe she's going to be seven. It seems like just yesterday I was holding her, crying for hours at a time, unshowered and totally post-partum-ly avoiding my friends phone calls to ask me how it was going. Sigh...ah good times, good times. She's decided that the theme of her party will be Hannah Montana.

Now, I'm quite embarrassed to admit it but I've gotta say, that Hannah Montana is a good show. On more than one occasion I've found myself laughing out loud at those crazy kids. (Eek, I just read that last sentence back and realized how nerdy I sounded but I'm keeping it because it proves the point I'm trying to make in the title of this post.) And in those moments, I think Megan and I are bonding over a shared experience until I look over at her and see that she is rolling her eyes at me and sighing at my apparent uncoolness. Once, I caught myself singing the show's opening theme song out loud. Well, I didn't "catch" myself exactly. I'm not sure if it was because my voice sounded like a dying cat, or if it was just too much for Megan to take seeing her 30-something mother singing The Best of Both Worlds, but she actually yelled, "Geez Mom! Stop!"

So I ordered her cake the other day. It's got Hannah Montana on it (obviously) and a lip gloss guitar on it as a keepsake. I thought it was pretty cool so I ordered it in Megan's absence. Even as I was saying "butter creme frosting please" I had an inkling that maybe I should have waited for Megan to be with me to order so she could have final approval. But I decided to take my chances.

And then this is what happened...

Me: Megan, I ordered your cake today.
Megan: What does it look like?
Me: It's a Hannah Montana cake.
Megan: Yes, I know that but what does it look like?
Me: Um, I don't know, it's got frosting on it that's Hannah Montana-ish. Oh! And it has a lip gloss guitar on it so you can keep that part. That's cool, huh?
Megan: How many?
Me: How many what?
Megan: How many lip gloss guitars?
Me: Just one.
Megan (obviously disappointed): Hmm. Oh. Well what is on the inside?
***Note: I was prepared for this question. I knew under any circumstance that if I went with chocolate, she would have wanted a white cake. And if I ordered a white cake, she would have wanted chocolate. So, in a genius move by myself (yes, I am patting myself on the back right now) I ordered marble!***
Me: Here's the great thing Megan. It has both chocolate and white! It's just like Hannah Montana! Get it? The best of both worlds? Get it? You know, like the Hannah Montana song?
Megan: Geeeeeesssshhh Mom!
Me(completely blown away that she didn't see the pure genius in my solution): What?
Megan: Why are you saying that... it's annoying.
Me: Whatever.

And then, later at dinner, this...

Me: Did Megan tell you that she was annoyed with me today?
Jay: No. About what?
Me: blah blah blah (insert recap of above here)
Jay: Really?
Megan: Don't blame me. She keeps saying creepy stuff like that. It's weird.

6 comments:

Erica said...

Oh no. I thought your plan was pretty genious, too!

carolyn said...

"She keeps saying creepy stuff like that" HaHAhaaaaa!!!! That is hilarious. My 7 year old and your 7 year old would totally gang up on us for being so lame.

www.startswithanx.com said...

For a minute there I thought you were announcing to the world that Hannah Montana is half black.
Yes, good move on the marble.

Ms Picket To You said...

I am uncool too. I still sing that damn Franklin song and the 4 year old rolls his eyes at me now too.

Beth said...

"www.startswithanx.com said...

For a minute there I thought you were announcing to the world that Hannah Montana is half black.
Yes, good move on the marble"

Those were exactly my thoughts too! I laughed out loud before I kept reading!! Hilarious!!

I love your blog!

Jen W said...

Starts with an X & Beth,

OMG- I just re-read my post and started laughing. I can totally see how you would think that!!! My sister-in-law said she read your comments and thought the same thing too... Oops!