Saturday, June 28, 2008

Look at the big brain on Jack!


I think I've given Jack a complex about the size of his head. Not intentionally, of course and although I know many times a mother's love is blind I don't think my son has an abnormally large head by any means. I've joked with him in the past when his shirt got stuck on his head when I tried to take it off that it's because his head grew too big. I would say something like, "Jack, you must be getting smarter, your brain is getting bigger!" Or other times when he would accomplish a task I might say, "Look at the big brain on Jack!" I thought I was being cute and potentially building his self-esteem but something happened yesterday that made me think I may have done him a disservice.

The kids have been cooped up in the house for the last day or so. It rained a bit, and Jack hasn't been feeling well. They were getting a little bit stir crazy. So yesterday, after Jack's latest dose of Ibuprofen kicked in the kids started chasing each other around the house. Megan was trying to write thank you cards and Jack came up and swiped her pencil and ran off with it. She was screaming, "Give it back Jack!" and he was running to the back room with it giggling mischievously.

A few moments later, after a few more "give it back" screams from Megan, I heard Jack say,"Uh oh, Megan. I dropped the pencil behind the couch. I'll get it for you." Then I heard some grunting and groaning as Jack made his way to the back of the couch.

The space between the back of our couch and the wall isn't very big. Maybe 12 inches or so. After the grunting, I heard Jack say with a mild bit of panic in his voice, "It's too big! I can't get it. It's too big!" Then he mumbled something else that I couldn't quite catch.

Megan started to laugh a bit. "Jack, did you say I believe my head is too big???"

"No Megan!" Jack was clearly getting a bit upset at this point. "I said my head is WAY TOO BIG!"

2 comments:

Always Home and Uncool said...

I forget how and why it started, but the kids started calling each other "big head." Then Thing 2 says to me "Daddy is a big head." I replied, "That's what exactly what Mommy cried out last night, too. It's a good thing."

Thanks for dropping a note on my blog. Don't lurk, throw down some more love my way.

Dette said...

lol - poor Jack. I know what you mean, though, I call my own Pumpkin Head every now and then coz a couuple of shirts have gotten stuck!

That's when you know it's time to go shopping. ;)

Again! Thank goodness for hand me downs!