Sunday, June 22, 2008

Where has the time gone?


My baby girl turned 7 this weekend. I can't believe it. It seems like just yesterday I was holding her and rocking her until she was almost asleep. Until she would look up at me, point to her crib and say, "In there" and then I would know she was ready for bed. Megan has been like that from the beginning-doing things in her own way, in her own time. Even in the womb it seemed she had a mind of her own. At 30 weeks, she decided that she wanted to come out. But then, she changed her mind and during those 8 weeks on bed rest while I waited to meet this baby girl who would forever alter my perspective on what was important in life, I dreamed about her and imagined what she would look like, what she would be like.

And so, as her mother, I have watched her and enjoyed watching her like my favorite movie with really great sequels. Like the Bourne movies...only better. At times, I can't wait to see what's going to happen next and I almost want to fast forward to the next part of the movie. But I know if I do that, I'll miss some very important parts of the movie- parts that will help me understand who she is, and what makes her tick. And so I watch her, and try to guide her, to help her, to love her. Sometimes I wonder if she knows how fiercely I love her. I hope she does. I wonder this in the simplest of moments- like when I give her the last bite of my food, or the rubber band from my hair when she asks. Sure, these are small things but they are among my gestures to her.

She makes it easy to love her because she is so loving to others...

...like when she looks out for friends and relatives with food allergies, asking on their behalf, "Are there nuts in that?"

...like when she comforts her brother and helps him get a band aid for his scraped knee.

...like when she patiently helped her scared cousin to the bathroom four times in one night.

...like when she took her Nana's hand to help steady her walking down stairs in a restaurant.


She makes it easy to love her because she is so witty and funny...

...like when she stated aloud that she needed a rubber band for her hair and I gave her mine. She looked at me and smiled and said, "Wouldn't it nice if life were that easy? Just asking for what you want and getting it?"

...like when she sat on my lap while we watched fire works one night. She tooted on me and I said, "Oh no you di'dn't just toot on my leg!" She looked at me straight faced and said, "Oh, yeah. I went there!"

...like the time Jay told her a fake story and Megan sarcastically retorted, "That's soooo interesting! How interesting is that??? That's sooooo interesting...NOT!"

I'm proud of her, of the girl she has become. And I feel so privileged that I get to watch this amazing movie play out and I look forward to the many sequels where I get to see the woman she will become. I can't believe my baby girl is 7. Where has the time gone?

5 comments:

Ms Picket To You said...

sweet awful beautiful pain: the growing up.

she's lovely. pat yourself on the back.

(also: totally happy you and Jay got a laugh from the vid as I have had so many from yours.)

carolyn said...

She's so darn cute!

I love her comments. "Oh, yeah. I went there!" I'm guessing she gets that great wit from her mother.

Happy Birthday big girl.

Dette said...

lol - Megan sounds like a hoot. An adorable one at that!!

Roll on by when you get a chance, girl - got something for ya at the Crib. ;)

Happy Birthday to Megan!!

Maureen said...

Aw, happy belated birthday. My "little" girl turned 17 in May.

Where has the time gone, indeed!

Erica said...

Beautiful post and such wonderful memories about her (early) childhood and babyhood. Happy - belated - Birthday, Megan!