Sunday, July 6, 2008

Take my advice, please!

Megan typically never takes my advice, on anything. I can't even begin to count the number of discussions (also known as arguments) where she asks my opinion on something and doesn't bother to heed my advice.

A typical example looks like this:

Megan: What's the weather like out today? Will it be cold enough to wear pants?
Me: It's going to be 120 bazillion degrees out. You should definitely wear shorts.
Megan: But I want to wear pants.
Me: That's crazy. It is going to be extremely hot today and pants would be crazy.
Megan: Okay.

...Ten minutes later...
Megan comes down the stairs in pants.

It drives me nuts when she does that but it's always been that way. Once when she was 3, she refused to wear black pants. I assured her that black matched with everything but she still refused. I finally had to call in the reinforcements. I called Aunt Lori... In Megan's eyes, Aunt Lori is super cool, super fun and above all, super fashionable and hip. I begged Lori to assist with the situation and I kid you not, after playing Polly Pockets with Megan for less than 10 minutes, Megan was singing the praises of the black pant. Lori just had to mention that she wanted her doll to wear black pants because black pants are cool and they go with everything and that was it. I never had a problem with the black pants again.

But alas, I can't have Aunt Lori rescue me from all situations so I typically just muddle my way through our discussions trying in earnest to explain why she shouldn't wear a sweater in 90 degree heat. I think the most frustrating thing is that she asks for my advice, but she never takes my advice. It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry is yelling at the lady working the rent-a-car counter. "See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them."

But today we had a breakthrough. Megan was setting up a room for her new Webkinz, and she asked my opinion on what the theme of the room should be. After I made a few suggestions that were initially negated by Megan, I got frustrated and left her to make the ultimate decision. Then later today...
video

3 comments:

Carolyn...Online said...

NOW you have to help her. So there!

Ms Picket To You said...

This makes me feel so much better. SOO much, you don't even know.

I knew there was a damn reason for the internets....

Dette said...

LOL - I just saw that Seinfield episode the other day - cracks me up!!

Your Megan is like my Jacob - if he asks me if he should wear green or orange, and I want him to wear orange, I just tell him, "Green, sweetheart." ;)

But he is finally starting to come around, and actually listen... sometimes!