Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Reasons why I suck at cooking- Part Two

It's never a good sign when your husband walks into the house, scrunches his nose, and says, "What's that...what is that smell?"

I blame the Food Channel and I blame Megan for constantly watching the Food Channel. They make everything look so easy. Specifically, my nemesis in this case is the Barefoot Contessa. What with her soft voice, and her "Oh, it's so easy and delicious." Well, I can tell you for certain that her dressing for Salad with warm Goat Cheese is not easy and the way I made it was definitely NOT delicious.

It seemed easy enough as I watched Ms. Barefoot prepare the dressing on TV. Just pour some ingredients into a blender and voila, you have dressing! I think my problem might have started when I opted to uh, well substitute a few ingredients. The dressing called for good cider vinegar. I'm not 100% sure but I'm guessing good cider vinegar doesn't come in plastic liter jugs?? And then there was the matter of the good Champagne vinegar. Uh, excuse me? First of all, I've never heard of any kind of Champagne vinegar- good or bad. My local grocer didn't sell Champagne vinegar so I selected the next closest thing- white wine vinegar. To be honest, I have no idea if Champagne vinegar and white wine vinegar are even remotely close but I figured, heck they are both alcohol.

The outcome? Bad. Just very, very bad. As I mixed the ingredients I thought, well now, that just doesn't smell quite right. And Jay's comments upon entering the house confirmed my suspicions. I even went so far as to taste it and I have to say, it made me gag and I almost threw up in my mouth.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Oh no! Those shows always make me feel bad about myself. I hate that smug look on Barefoot Contessa's face - she's the worst of the bunch. At least Rachel Ray tries to be a woman of the people!