Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A sighting as rare as an Amur leopard

Megan is usually a bit reluctant about drawing attention to herself especially when there are crowds, or a video camera involved. At Megan's one and only dance recital, she froze. She had what I call a Cindy Brady moment (you know the episode where she's on TV and the little red light comes on and she just stares at the camera). When the lights came up and the camera was on her, she stood there while the entire class danced around her for 3 minutes. Watching it from the crowd, I started to tear up as I watched her silent panic and I felt mortified for her.

Tonight on our deck, I was able to capture a rare sight- Megan singing on tape. She decided to entertain us with an impromptu concert. Although, there were a couple snags along the way. Every time Megan started her "show" Jack started to yell in the background. I love the bugged out look on her face that she gives him but she is able to maintain her composure. She was trying to star in and direct the film and as such, since Jack kept interrupting, she kept directing me to "cut". Her first attempt at the cut sign ended up looking a bit more like the "Wax On, Wax Off" motion from The Karate Kid so I didn't quite catch on at first that I was supposed to shut off the tape.

Eventually, the show got underway and Megan just went with it when Jack hijacked her show. Megan opted to sing one of her favorite songs, I Am Your Brother. This was a song from the last season of American Idol. I have to give it to her, she sang it with gusto but as I watched, I couldn't help but wonder if I needed to write another genetic apology for her obvious inheritance of my singing genes.

Megan shifted into a rap number to close out the show and left us with these profound words, "Word, yo. Peace out."
video

3 comments:

Ms Picket To You said...

your kids need to go on the road with this show.

and also, she truly has the chops to harmonize with B.
american idol just wait!

Carolyn...Online said...

Word! Tell Megan the first rule of showbiz: Never work with kids and animals.

Becca said...

LOL that was great