Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tattoo ponderings

I just got back from a fun and relaxing long weekend at Martha's Vineyard with a couple of girlfriends- no husbands, no kids. It's been a long time since I've had that much fun and I ended up throwing caution to the wind and just did what felt good. I had decadent frozen drinks in the middle of the day while sitting in the harbor watching the boats. I fell in love with Lobster Rolls and fell back in love with Clam Chowder.

We spent a good amount of time shopping and it was nice to just wander into the shops and putter around. I had only a few directives from back home that allowed me to guide my shopping experience. Jack requested an electronic toy. That was nearly impossible to find. Megan wanted a doll to add to her doll collection. That too was surprisingly difficult to find but I finally zoned in on a carved bobble head fisherman. Jay wanted a white hat with a small black dog on it from The Black Dog Tavern. But once I walked into that store, I fell in love with it. It almost made we want to get a dog. So I ended up spending way too much money in order to get the "free" tote and came home with shirts for everyone, enormous beach towels, hats, glasses, bottle opener, beer coozy and a "free" tote.

Oh yeah, and I bought a dress from a store that I will never wear. It seemed like a good idea at the time but I already had a few of those island cocktails so I'm blaming my purchase on that. That and the girls I was shopping with. What with their, "Oh that dress looks so good on you" and their "You have to buy it" and their assurance that "You could totally wear that with flip flops to make it casual". I should have listened to my inner self on that one. I don't usually wander around with an extremely low cut, long, silky, purple dress made of handkerchiefs.

At any rate, I also got a tattoo. Not a real tattoo because I'm the type of person that can't think of anything I would want on my body for the rest of my life. Plus, I keep thinking that if I got a nice little tattoo on my hip that it would end up closer to my knee by the time I was 80. So I got a henna tattoo instead. Right on the small of my back and since I watch reality TV and saw it on the Real Housewives, I realize that what I got is actually referred to as a "Tramp Stamp".

When I came home and showed it to Megan (before she realized it wasn't real)she reacted much the same way I might if she showed up with a tattoo before she was 18. "Let me see it." she pushed. And when she actually saw it, her eyes got big and she exclaimed, "What did you do that for????" But then she got used to the idea and ended up telling me if she was going to get a tattoo, it would read, "I love Joe" (Joe Jonas from the Jonas Brothers).

3 comments:

Becca said...

"I love Joe" (Joe Jonas from the Jonas Brothers).

exactly why kids cannot get tattoos...

Ms Picket To You said...

now i'm all wistful for MV. i always hit this shop in Menemsha, buy something i love and MUST HAVE, and then never wear again. a girl can totally pull off a hankie dress and a tat while on vacation.

Cindi ~ Moomettesgram's Musings said...

Lucky you, just the girls on MV! One of my fav places, besides Block Island! Is that an Ice Slip Dress from Anthropologie? So so pretty!