Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Conscience



Tonight at dinner, Jack and I had a bit of a side conversation. He looked very pensive for a moment and said, "Momma, what's a con... a con... um, a con-shirts?"

"A what?" I asked.

"A um con-shirts. I mean a con-shints."

"Oh! Do you mean a conscience?"

He nodded vigorously. "Yes! That's it- a conscience. What is that?"

"Well, it's that little voice inside you that tells you right from wrong." I said.

Jack thought for a moment and then said, "I closed my eyes and my eyeballs looked everywhere inside my body and all I saw was guts and food. I didn't see any conscience."

I giggled a bit at that. "Everyone has a conscience. It's just that sometimes people might not listen to it as much as they should."

Jack decided to elaborate a bit on that thought. "Yeah, you have to listen to it. Like if you are mean a lot your conscience will say 'stop stop stop stop stop stop stop'. My conscience is like a little person."

3 comments:

Carolyn...Online said...

All he sees is guts and food. I love that kid.

mammadawg.com said...

lol - I am STILL giggling over "guts and food."

Your photo is perfect, too! If only we had Pinocchio on video - I might've just put that on today!

Twenty-Something said...

Love hearing about what kids think of these things! Insane how brilliant they can be.