Sunday, August 10, 2008

Cul-de-Sac Olympics

The excitement of the Olympics has rejuvenated our cul-de-sac. The kids were out in droves, riding their bikes, running, climbing trees, riding scooters, shooting basketballs- pretty much anything athletic. We were all sitting outside enjoying the nice weather and I called to Jack, "Hey Jack. You want to take the training wheels off your bike today?"

Jay looked at me like I just sprouted another head and said under his breath, "Noooooooo." A few years ago when we took Megan's training wheels off, Jay spent the good part of the afternoon running. After his 6 foot 2 inch frame chased Megan's bike hunched over for hours on end, he spent the next few days with a back ache. So I can understand his trepidation. But in the end, we (and by "we" I mean Jay)took off Jack's training wheels and decided to give it a go.

It was awesome to see Jack ride off on his bike alone on his first try! I was as proud as I would have been had he won a bike event in the Olympics. All the neighbors were cheering him on and it was just a great day.

1 comment:

Lil Sass said...

How come I was like 8 when my parents took off my training wheels? I feel like a loser but your son kicks butt!! So cute