Friday, August 8, 2008

The Entrepreneur vs. the Non-Entrepreneur

The anticipation was high. Plans were made. Cups were purchased. Signs were made. And most importantly, lemonade was mixed. A neighbor in our cul-de-sac had a garage sale and the kids decided that a lemonade stand was in order. Much discussion took place yesterday by all cul-de-sac residents 4ft and under as to what the approach would be for the lemonade stand.

Megan, ever the entrepreneur, thought the lemonade stand should be marketed in such a way that it would have a hook to it, a special offer, if you will. She lamented to me, "Um, well, I um totally think that we should make cards with lemons on them and then when people buy the card, they would get 2 cups of lemonade for *free*. And they will still be able to use the card." She paused for a moment to brush her hair behind her ears before continuing. "But, I um, was like telling XXX about that idea and she was like, 'No. We are selling lemonade and that is it. No cards.'" Then she shrugged her shoulders and sauntered off.

As I watched her go, I thought to myself, That's it little one. Don't let The Man (or 7 year old BFF in this case) get you down. You keep thinking creatively. A big advertising agency or marketing department might need a brain like yours when you are fresh out of college and before they beat you down into submission and force you to color in between the lines.

When the time came to open the lemonade stand, you could feel the excitement in the air. All the kids set up the stand and waited for patrons to come to the garage sale. Jack was particularly enthusiastic. From my window I could hear him screaming to the patrons as they pulled up in their cars, "LEMONADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ONLY 25 CENTS!!!! GET YOUR LEMONADE!!!!"

This enthusiasm lasted a good 45 minutes, until Jack had to pee. He walked halfway to our house and told me that his feet were too tired, he was too hot and no he didn't care about any more money from the lemonade stand and that he just wanted to come inside and watch Tom & Jerry.

So now there is a seat at the lemonade stand. An empty seat where Jack, the non-entrepreneur, has abandoned his post.

4 comments:

Amy said...

On the Pamela Anderson show she thought vodka in the lemonade (for the adults) might have been a good idea. I kind of agree with her.
I like your kids idea though, next time, tell her to run with it.

Erica said...

Adorable! Good for her for being a young businesswoman. I had a "business" when I was her age making and selling macrame jewelry. My biggest customer was oddly the teenage boy who drove the ice cream truck. Don't ask me why.

And yeah, tap that creativity before some corporation sucks it dry.

Carolyn...Online said...

Yeah, the reality of the lemonade stand can never hold up to the idea of the lemonade stand.

MammaDawg said...

LOL - reminds me of the time my 7 year old sold boxed donuts during a garage sale.

They are too funny, aren't they?

When you get a chance, roll on by - I've got some bling for ya ;)