Tuesday, August 12, 2008

She's a parrot is what she is.

A couple weeks ago Jay and Megan were watching TV and this commercial came on...


Megan started to laugh a bit but Jay said, "I don't like that commercial at all." Megan looked shocked and responded, "Why not???"

"Well, they are making it look like parents aren't smart in that commercial and I don't like it." Jay explained. And that was all that was said about it. Since then, we've seen that commercial on TV a lot. I mean a lot. And I hate to say it but it's not because they play it all the time on TV but rather, we watch so much TV that we probably see it almost every time it is aired. But since Jay's comment, we've watched it just like every other 15,000 commercials we see and no one made any further comment.

....Flash forward to yesterday...

The commercial aired and when it was over, Megan acted as though she had the most original thought in the world and turned to us and said, "You know, I don't like that commercial at all. It makes fun of parents like they aren't smart."

I looked over at Jay with my jaw on the floor. The display of the Power of Suggestion I just witnessed was overwhelming. Jay looked back at me with a smug smile and kind of gave me a half nod as if to say, Oh yeah. Did you just witness my awesomeness?

And it started me thinking about this parenting business- how even when you don't feel like parenting sometimes, in actuality you are parenting by not parenting. Does that make sense? These little guys and gals are watching us and listening to us even when we don't think they are. It suddenly reminded me of an anti-drug PSA from the 1980's...

2 comments:

Carolyn...Online said...

LOVE that PSA. Scott and I still quote it to this day when we send our kids off track.

Ms Picket To You said...

what carolyn said. that PSA haunts me.