Saturday, August 23, 2008

Typical conversations with my husband

#1- Jay recently got a blackberry. I, myself am a blackberry vet- a "guru" if you will. I will say that it has been a real eye opener for me. I see Jay frequently checking his email (which by the way is WAY less frequently than I check mine, because I'm addicted but the first step towards recovery is acknowledging the problem) and I look at him and think two things: 1) Welcome to the new millennium my dear, dear husband. 2) Oh. My. Gosh. Is that what I look like?????

It really is an eye opener to see someone completely disassociated from his or her surroundings looking into a tiny rectangular object like it's a portal to another world (which, in a way, it kinda is). At any rate, with the onset of the arrival of the blackberry, Jay entered the world of texting. I must say, it has brought our relationship to a new level. Okay, so maybe that is a slight exaggeration but it does make it easier to communicate throughout the day on the little things. "Can you pick up Jack?" "What do you want for dinner- chicken Caesar or tacos?" "Your new mower is here" etc. You get the picture.

But the other day, Jay texted me that he thought there was something wrong, that some of my text messages weren't coming through. Uh oh, I thought. Unacceptable. I've become accustomed to this new channel of communication and I am not ready to let it go. When Jay came home, he showed me his blackberry. He said, "See, this is what it looks like when your texts come through." I took the blackberry and looked at the screen. The message from me indicated that the message had not been retrieved. "Oh, this is really easy to fix. See, it's just that you need to retrieve the message." I said.

"What did you do? How did you fix that?"

"See the track wheel? You just click the track wheel twice and it will retrieve the text message."

"I love the way you say track wheel."

***************************************
#2 One of the big differences between me and Jay has to do with self-medication. Jay is of the mindset that if he either drinks orange juice, or gargles with warm salt water, that things will just sort themselves out. I, on the other hand, am a self-professed medicator. I think anything can be resolved with a little "help". Ibuprofen, Tylenol, NyQuil, Dayquil, Alka Seltzer, Pepto Bismol- you name it, I've got it. My latest adventure into medicine was a detox. I've heard a few thing about it and figured I would give it a go. Jay was feeling apprehensive about it. "Why are you going to do it? What is it supposed to do?" But I decided to forge ahead. That was the last Jay said about it...until we were at dinner last night.

We went to our favorite local Mexican restaurant where I ordered my usual chicken quesadilla. While we were waiting we had the chips and salsa. I commented to Jay that the salsa seemed a bit spicier than usual. And after I took a few bites of my quesadilla, I commented again, "They must have done something different with the food. It all seems spicier than usual."

His response... "I think it's just your colon medicine."

No comments: