Monday, September 1, 2008

The boy needs to figure out how to pronounce Deck...pronto


We just got back from a relaxing weekend at Grand Bear Lodge. We rented a huge cabin and 13 of us stayed together and spent family time together celebrating my in-laws 40th wedding anniversary. The weekend consisted of laughing, stories, food, Wii, food, water park, food, cocktails, Wii, napping, water balloon fights, food and more food.

It was a nice mix of togetherness combined with everyone doing their own thing. The resort had a little train that would come around and you could hop on it and get a ride to the water park. My sister-in-law Lori and I jumped on the train one morning with Megan and Jack. As we rode along through the resort, Megan commented on some of the condos that were available.

Megan: I like those buildings.
Me: Oh really? Why?
Megan: They have those really big decks. I like those big decks.
Jack: Yeah, I like the ones with the big dicks too.
***At this point, I looked over at Lori with a Did-I-just-hear-what-I-thought-I-just-heard? look and one look at her face confirmed my suspicions. Lori and I from this moment on avoided eye contact and I muffled my laughter***
Megan (exasperated): Jack! It is pronounced DECK, not DICK.
***More muffled laughter from me and Lori***
Jack: I know. That's what I said.
Megan: No Jack. You didn't say DECK, you said DICK.
Jack: I do like those dicks. I like the small ones and the big ones too.

And while Lori and I giggled like teenagers at the conversation taking place, I also was reluctant to intervene because their pure innocence was something I wanted to preserve. Neither one of them had a clue about the alternative meaning of their conversation. From their perspective, they might as well have been having a discussion about the pronunciation of To-may-to vs. To-mah-to.

4 comments:

Carolyn...Online said...

I love that you didn't immediately shush them because that would've given power the word dick. Instead you got to giggle and let Megan do what she does best - correct her brother.

Ms Picket To You said...

i also love that were commenting on the architecture. forget the water park! check out that real estate!

Twenty-Something said...

classic.

props for keeping the laughter on the DL i would have exploded!

Lori said...

It was the highlight of my weekend. And those little decks are useless by the way.