Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I thought it would be a few more years before I was considered so uncool

I am going to be a helper in a couple weeks for Megan's Brownie troop. The girls are going on a trip to a farm for hay rides. I was pretty excited about it and mentioned it to Megan the other day while we were in the car.

Me: Megan, guess who is going to be one of the drivers when your troop goes on the hay ride?
Megan: You?
Me: Yup!
Megan: Do I have to go in your car?
Me: Well, don't you think it would be weird to have your mom driving and you not be in the car?
Megan: (says nothing and just shrugs her shoulders looking out the window)
Me: What? You don't want to be in the car with me?
Megan: Not really.
Me: Why not?
Megan: Because you say weird things sometimes.
Me (shocked): Like what?
Megan (visibly getting upset): Stuff.
Me: You have to give me an example before I believe it.
Megan: Well, you say weird things that other mom's don't say like, "Everybody out of the pool." Who says that? Nobody!
***My grandpa used to have a habit of yelling, "Everybody out of the pool!" when he would pull up and park the car. It was his way of saying, "everybody get out of the car." I always thought this was hilarious and I sometimes say it- but only rarely.
Me: What you don't think that is funny?
Megan (totally tearing up, voice quivering): No! It's embarrassing!
Me (gasp): You are embarrassed of me?
Megan: Sometimes (sob, sob). IT'S WEIRD!
Me: Wow. That kind of hurts my feelings.
Megan: (sobbing saying nothing.)
Me: Why are you crying? Are you crying because you are embarrassed of me or because you feel bad that you hurt my feelings?
Megan (whispering): Both.

That was a painful conversation. I thought I had at least a few more years before she would realize how embarrassing I could be.

11 comments:

Lori said...

I will never forget when my parents pulled up to our party in the corn field one night. All the other kids said who is that old dude? I pretended like I didn't know him.

Badass Geek said...

I'm totally going to say "Everybody out of the pool" the next time I have a car-full of people.

Which probably won't be for a while, and I'll probably going to forget by then. But yeah. Funny!

MammaDawg said...

:( I'm sorry, girl - for both you AND Megan. It's like I just watched the whole thing happen in front of me...

I personally think "Everybody out of the pool" is a crack-up, but... is it because we're older?

Hmmnnn... makes me wonder... I know kids at this age try and want desperately to fit in. To blend.

To not stick out or be unique.

And having a mom say "Everybody out of the pool" makes her different from the others.

The rainbow in this, though, is that she felt open enough, comfortable enough... to share such deep feelings with you - all at the spur of the moment.

It shows how close you two are, and what a wonderful relationship you must have.

Twenty-Something said...

"Everybody out of the pool!" I'm totally using that one! She'll appreciate it in a few years I'm sure!

Your obviously super cool to all of us!!

Carolyn...Online said...

My girls are such dorks they don't even realize how uncool I am. I'm even the damn Brownie Troop leader.

Meredith said...

oh...jeez you big dork - 'everybody out of the pool' - the NERVE lol.

I'm totally going to say this the next time I'm unloading my clown car full of kids. I ENJOY embarrassing them in my own sick little way.

Sadly, I think this is only the beginning.

Ms Picket To You said...

the upside: meghan has real, huge compassion. and she's honest. these two things she got from the mom who says such embarrassing things. keep the faith!

Mike said...

If you want I can come over and explain to Meghan what it is like to have a Mom that is REALLY embarrassing. Ahem, mine.

You sound fine! I like comments like "Out of the pool!"

For Myself said...

She's right on schedule. It's her JOB to be embarrassed by you and try to pull away from you. Truly. I see it every day in my role as a teacher. If she WEREN'T dissing you a little bit it would be weird. Now - "Out of the fecking pool!"

Anonymous said...

Is Megan pre-menstral? I mean .... for realz ...

LilSass said...

ps, that was my comment above. weirdo blogger