Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A religious discussion about inappropriate touching.

Megan's Religious Education (RE) class is in full swing. At this week's class, they sent home a note informing us they would be discussing inappropriate touching with the students. The note assured us that it would be done in a tasteful manner and that it wouldn't be too jarring in nature. Yesterday, Jay and I gave Megan a heads up on what would be discussed and gave her the key points (or key "take aways" as I would say in my business-speak). Things like no adults should touch you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable and if an adult tells you to keep a secret that it's always okay to tell us about it. She seemed to be fine with that.

But today when I was driving her to her class, Megan started pondering the topic. Among her questions:

Q: "Why are they bringing someone in to talk to us?"
What I said: "The church wants to make sure all of its members remain safe. They are using this class to share some information to keep you safe."

Q: "Wouldn't it be easier if they just had the priest come in and talk to us about Jesus?"
What I said: "Well today they want to talk about the other stuff so they are bringing in an expert to talk to you."

Q: "Why are we talking about inappropriate touching in a church class?"
What I thought: Uh, well if you were old enough to read the newspaper and see all the scandals with the Catholic church, it might make a bit more sense.
What I said: "Uh, I dunno."

After the class was over, Jay picked Megan up and when he came home I asked him what she said about it. His response- "She didn't say much. She said they watched a video about Karate."

??? Huh???

7 comments:

MammaDawg said...

lol -"Karate?"

Maybe she's waiting to talk to Mom, huh?

Badass Geek said...

Well, technically karate is a form of inappropriate touching, except it's done by a ninja, not a creepy pedophile.

Meredith said...

Karate. Cracked me UP!

Carolyn...Online said...

Oh yeah, you think the priests are bad? It's the karate masters you gotta watch out for.

Mike said...

Wow. I love all these incredibly complex things I will soon have to explain to my little one. Oy!

Twenty-Something said...

interesting approach.

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic