Friday, October 24, 2008

The two worst things I've smelled in the last 24 hours.

In the last 24 hours, my nose has gotten a work out. I've had the one-two punch so to speak, in the odor department. I just got back from being out of town all week. It was my company's global user conference and it took everything out of me. I had to be "on" all week-long days of conference sessions followed by long nights of drinking socializing. I think I had about 10 hours of sleep all week. So yesterday afternoon, I finally poured myself into my airline seat and was looking forward to closing my eyes and relaxing on the way home. But the thunderstorms swirling across the US had other plans. The turbulence was absolutely atrocious; the flight attendants were seated a good portion of the flight. So instead, I white knuckled the flight and tried to just close my eyes and appear like a normal passenger while I silently panicked.

And then I smelled it- rubbing alcohol. The smell was so acute, my eyes flew open and to be honest, after coming off 3 nights of drinking socializing, it kind of made me nauseous. Where is that smell coming from? I wondered. I looked to my left and saw the lady in the seat next to me rubbing hand sanitizer on her hands. But alas, that wouldn't be the last time I would smell the rubbing alcohol. In the next 2 hours, that lady rubbed hand sanitizer on her hands SEVEN times. I found this quite odd since she never did anything, I thought, to warrant more sanitizer. She didn't eat anything; she didn't leave her seat to go to the bathroom; I don't think she even touched anything other than her pants. But since I count the number of seconds from when the wheels come down for landing until the plane actually lands, I guessed I couldn't be too judgemental and so I endured the headache I acquired. (Note: it's usually about 180 seconds or so, in case you were wondering.)

Moving on to today...

I'm not sure how things could have gone so terribly wrong in the week that I was out of town but when I left Jack's feet were just like any other normal 5 year-olds. But now? Now they are some of the worst- I mean THE WORST- smelling feet. Out of disbelief, I grabbed his foot and brought it close to my face to give it a whiff. I just couldn't believe that smell could have been coming from such a small area. But as I leaned over to smell Jack's foot, an odor so pungent hit me like a Mack truck and I immediately gagged.

If I was a betting girl, I'd say Jack will have new shoes by Sunday.

3 comments:

Lori said...

What is it about things that smell bad that make us want to get really close for an all encompassing inhale?

Badass Geek said...

I, too, hate the smell of hand sanitizer. My wife uses it religiously at work (she works at a bank) and she reeks of it when she comes home. It makes my nose hurt just thinking about it.

Meredith said...

my 10 year old has feet that smell like ass....and it started when she was about 5 - hate to break it to you but you may want to get used to it lol...she has a habit of taking her shoes off in the car and it literally makes me almost run off the road.

the hand sanitizer lady...weirdo