Sunday, November 9, 2008

The filth threshold

I have what I call a "threshold for filth". I can handle a certain amount of clutter, dust, dirt etc. around my house but once it hits a certain threshold, I become a crazy woman. I start to clean the house without regard for what is going in the garbage. I've always been like that. Newspapers? Gone. Stacks of random paper? Gone. Magazines? See ya later! Sometimes it backfires. Once, when Jay and I lived in our apartment in Colorado, I threw away something that was important and Jay and I ended up sifting through our garbage in the dumpster in the parking lot like a couple of homeless people.

A few days ago, I cleaned up around our kitchen and threw a bunch of stuff in the garbage. I didn't think anything of it until Megan pointed it out. She was eating a piece of banana bread and started walking around with it. As she made her way to the bathroom, I stopped her. "Whoa, where are you going?" I asked. "Don't take food in the bathroom with you. That's disgusting."

"Okay," she responded and walked toward the garbage can. As she opened the lid and stood over the garbage eating her banana bread, I thought to myself, "What did I do in parenting my children to make it seem like eating over the garbage is an acceptable option to eating on the toilet???" Anyhoo... Megan looked down into the garbage and said, "Dad, look at this! Mom threw away a coupon for free ice cream!" As she pulled the coupon from the garbage and stood with the banana bread in one hand and the coupon in the other, I had flashbacks to the Seinfeld episode where George gets busted for eating the eclair from the garbage.

She handed the coupon to Jay who upon looking at it said, "Hey it's actually a whole menu for Jason's Deli.Your mom thew out a menu and a coupon for free ice cream!"

"Yeah!" Megan chimed in. Jay looked at me, smiled and said, "We should have our kids eat over the garbage more often!"

Yeah, um...no.

10 comments:

CityMom, CountryMom said...

Please, don't ask me how I found your blog, but my husband and I are big Seinfeld fans and I know well, the "eclair in the garbage" episode! thanks for sharing.
CountryMom

Carolyn...Online said...

Ok but at least Megan didn't get the banana bread FROM the garbage can. That would have blown the threshold wide open.

Badass Geek said...

I eat over the sink more than I should... But that's not a crime, is it?

MammaDawg said...

LOL - I was totally cringing while I was reading this post - both in front of the bathroom and at the trash can!!

Lori said...

Uh-oh. I feel a little Bob in her.

x said...

I'm the same way. Whenever we can't find an important document I get all nervous and think of myself throwing out everything like the FBI was on their way over or something.

Ms Picket To You said...

i actually have pictures taken as proof for one of my kids that i did indeed search through the trash for whatever beloved thing i tossed in a cleaning frenzy.
an empty trash bag split open on the floor, eggshells and other gunk.
my mother in law is flipping through the photos on the computer and finds those. good times.

Amy said...

My dog tosses the trash regularly so if anything important gets thrown away we can find it.
I love the Seinfeld reference. It's one we can all relate to, George, he was so kooky. :)

Becca said...

ha i love those seinfeld moments. We call my son George Costanza because he goes upstairs to go potty and comes down with no clothes on.

Renée aka Mekhismom said...

What a funny story! And I agree with Carolyn, that would have been just like the Seinfeld episode. Ewwwww.