Friday, November 28, 2008

Giving Thanks

Grocery shopping with Jack is always an experience. He was in a great mood today what with his post-Thanksgiving glow compounded with the excitement of putting up our Christmas decorations. As we wandered the aisles, Jack chatted away. We strolled into the cracker aisle where he asked for Sponge Bob Cheese Its. I, in my own post-Thanksgiving/pre-Christmas excitement, smiled and tossed them into the cart. Then I heard a faint, "mwah, mwah, mwah." I looked down to see Jack looking up at me smacking his lips in a fake kiss. I leaned down and gave him the kiss he was gesturing for and then a few steps later, I heard him say, "Now that is true love!"

My heart melted a little bit and I had a flashback to many years ago. I was in my early twenties, well before I was even thinking about having children of my own. It was February and I was in the card aisle picking out some Valentine's Day cards. Further down the aisle there was a little boy, he was four or maybe five. He was looking wide-eyed at something. I can't remember what it was anymore, maybe a box of chocolates or a stuffed animal. Anyway, I remember looking at him for a second because he was all alone and I thought, Hmmm. I wonder where his mom is? It was right about that moment where she came around the corner with the cart and when he saw her, he got so excited and grabbed the thing (whatever it was) and yelled, "OOOH Mommy! I am going to get this for you for Valentine's Day because I love you soooooooooo much!!!!" And Oh.My.God it was at that moment, that very moment, where I had a maternal urge so strong that I swear I think my uterus contracted and from that moment on, I WANTED SONS. So when Jack kissed me and casually commented that this is true love, I gave thanks. Thanks for my son. And thanks for my daughter and my husband who complete my family unit. Right there, in the cracker aisle of the grocery store. I gave thanks.

9 comments:

DCD said...

Awesome. I love those moments where they do or say something that gives you those feelings.

DCD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DCD said...

Sorry - posted twice there...And now, again!

For Myself said...

Tomorrow, I'm going to buy my son some Sponge Bob Cheese Its to test his love.

If he fails, we're going to Hallmark for a second try.

Lori said...

That is how I felt the night I came over late, because I got lost and Jack said, "Who wants a hug from me" and did eeney meeney miney mo and then stopped, put his finger over his mouth to do some mental math- and then picked ME for the hug. I needed that that day and he melted me. Even though his Dad said, "Enough!! Let's GO!"

LilSass said...

My love for Jack grows.

Meredith said...

boys...sweet boys. I'm really counting on my 8 year old who is the middle of a sister sandwich to get me through the teen years. He's Jack sweet so I'm sure he will do his part.

Jack....just want to eat him.

Ms Picket To You said...

my mom told me when the GFYO was born that he WOULD get me through the teen years, like Meredith mentioned, after his two older sisters would push me to the brink.

i thought that was kind of weird, considering I am the THIRD of three girls.

meanwhile, the GFYO has been declaring his love lately by asking me to pull his finger...

Carolyn...Online said...

Swack to Jack. I'm glad he lurves his mommma.