Thursday, December 4, 2008

It's kind of like multi-tasking but not exactly

One of Jack's friends at school celebrated his birthday and gave everyone in the class a goodie bag. The teachers seal all the goodie bags so the kids don't open the bag and start pulling everything out. This meant Jack's goodie bag was sealed tight when I picked him up from school. "Can you open it for me?" he asked. "Not yet, Jack. Let's wait until we get home." I told him. But the allure of the goodie bag was just too great. Jack could not...would not...did not want to wait until we got home to open the goodie bag.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have a problem ripping into a goodie bag while I was driving. However, on this particular day, we were in the midst of our first big snow storm in the Chicagoland area and I needed to focus. It takes about 3-4 good snowstorms before I get myself back on autopilot while driving in the snow and I just wasn't there, yet. Jack was determined to change my mind.

Jack: Please Momma. Can't you open it now?
Me: Not now Jack.
Jack: Why not now?
Me: Because I'm trying to drive the car in the snow and I can't open the bag at the same time that I'm driving.
Megan (the voice of reason): You mean you are multi-tasking right Mom? You shouldn't be multi-tasking, right?
Me: Yes, that is right.
Jack: What is multi-tasking?
Me: Well, it's when you do more than one thing at the same time.
Jack: Oh.
Me: Like reading and watching TV at the same time is multi-tasking.
Jack: Oh.
Megan: Or like one example would be drinking and driving. That would be multi-tasking.
Me: Uh...well, maybe that's not the best example...

7 comments:

Badass Geek said...

She does have a point though. There's nothing wrong with wanting to maximize one's efficiency... Although not with alcohol.

Lori said...

The other day, when I was driving in the snow storm, the guy in front of me was going incredibly slow. When I finally got the nerve to pass him, I looked over and he was READING THE NEWSPAPER.

Carolyn...Online said...

You know how people are always saying that the LOL'd or spit coffee on their keyboard while reading or whatever? I actually just laughed out loud at Megan's comment. Awesome.

DCD said...

Megan needs to start her own blog.

It is amazing how much I try to do when driving. Amazing and stupid. Luckily, I don't add alcohol to the mix!!

mammadawg.com said...

lol - Megan never fails to deliver!

Twenty-Something said...

Megan and those one liners! Her coolness is never ending!

Ms Picket To You said...

yes, megan, drinking and driving is kind a multitasking thing. sort of like pot smoking and sitting around getting high.