Saturday, December 20, 2008

Scared to deaf

Usually going to bed every night is a family event. Sometime between 7:30 and 8:00, Jay and I corral the kids upstairs, nudge them along to hurry up in brushing their teeth, and put them to bed with hugs and kisses. Last night things happened a bit differently.

Megan and Jay thought it would be funny to run up the stairs first and hide from me and Jack. As Jack and I walked up the stairs, I heard them whispering. I said to Jack, "I think Daddy and Megan are hiding from us and are going to jump out and scare us." Jack decided he was going to be pretty brave and started taunting our hidden family members. He ran from room to room yelling, "Show yourselves!!!" But his first few demands went unanswered.

We moved on to my room and saw nothing. Next Jack ran into our dark bathroom and was about to yell, "Show yourselves!" one last time but he didn't realize that Megan and Jay were hiding just inside the doorway of the bathroom. When Megan and Jay both yelled at the top of their lungs, "RRRROOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" even I was startled. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a huge lump flying backwards. I looked to my left just as Jay turned on the bathroom light. They had scared Jack so badly, he literally flew backwards off his feet and landed on his butt. The look on his face was of pure terror... then fury. "YOU SCARED ME TO DEAF!!!YOU SCARED ME TO DEAF!!!" he shouted at Megan and Jay. Then the fury turned to tears as he jumped into my arms. His heart was pounding out of his chest and he buried his face into my chest as he cried, "You scared me to deaf."

I felt so bad for him but I couldn't get the vision of him flying backwards out of my head and couldn't stop giggling. I figured it was okay though, he couldn't hear me laughing since we "scared him to deaf."

5 comments:

DCD said...

LOL! Poor kid. One of those times when it is tough to put on the kind face!!

For Myself said...

Oh I feel for your little dude! I can still remember my dad hiding behind our gazebo one night when I was coming back from the barn after feeding the horses. He jumped out at me and I actually died. Right there. Dead.

My dad felt pretty bad about it.

Twenty-Something said...

Oh don't you hate that! But, it also feels strangely good to be scared like that!

Too bad you didn't catch it on video, Americas Funniest Home Videos anyone?

King of New York Hacks said...

Definitely a you tube moment.

Regina Bertrand said...

awwwww! Poor little thing. My husband does the same thing. Mostly to me.