Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Sharing food...and shovels

Megan and Jack are usually pretty good about sharing- well, except when it comes to food. We have to coax them to be willing to share their food, Megan even more so than Jack; Jack is typically pretty easy going in that respect. I'm not sure where Megan obtained her minor hoarding mentality when it comes to food. It's not like she's ever been in a situation where she didn't have *enough* food but she still likes to ask, "How many of these can I have?" or "Is there more?" essentially at every meal.

For example, last night we went out to a neighborhood restaurant for dinner. Megan ordered buttered pasta and Jack had corn dogs. (I know, I know...sounds like a dietitian's delight but whatever). When the food came, Jack wanted some of Megan's pasta and offered a corn dog in exchange. The first go around resulted in a meager trade of one mini corn dog for approximately 8 bow tie pasta. Then a round of whining ensued. "What?? This is all the pasta I got???" and "But he only gave me ONE of the corn dogs!"

...sigh...

(Insert parenting speech on how we share everything in our family, it's nice to share, have you ever left a meal hungry and we can always order more if you really are that hungry blah blah blah)

At this point, Jack extended his olive branch of another corn dog in exchange for some more of the butteriest pasta I've ever seen. After another successful exchange of food across the table, Jay and I commented on how great Jack shared. Megan commented, "I'm pretty good at sharing almost everything but food." Jay asked, "Oh really? Like what else?"

Megan's response, "Um, like I'm good at sharing shovels."

???

7 comments:

Badass Geek said...

Well, that works out well. Can you ask Megan if I can borrow a shovel for a little while? I need to re-set my mailbox.

For Myself said...

I could have written this post. EXACTLY. And my daughter (the older of my two kids) is a loving, generous soul who CANNOT share food.
Today, she ran away from her brother with some of his food. Why?
I find that this pushes some very dangerous buttons with me, so I have to be EXTREMELY careful with how I react. Not easy, to say the least...

The Floydster said...

I'm one of 5 and in our family the first ones who got to the goodies was the winner, whining be damned. Back when Coca Cola was in bottles only, one sister would backwash into her bottle so no one would take sips from it. She was the one who cout out the middle cinnamon roll in the box of 12 because that was the best one. She is the baby of the family - maybe it was payback at all of us. Except being the baby, she had it SO easy! (A fact she hates hearing to this day!) :)

DCD said...

I have to admit, I am not that good at sharing food. And there are some particular foods that I will totally hide in my greediness of wanting it all to myself! (Okay wait - that sounds kind of bad, I do not have food "issues," just sharing food issues.)

At least I know who to go to if I need a shovel!

Becca said...

lol, shovels??

Leanne said...

Food? Shovels? Oy. My kids just like to bicker I've decided. It doesn't matter what one has, another will try and take it. When do they go back to school anyway?

Carolyn...Online said...

I'm left to wonder just how many shovels Megan has that she has learned to share them so well.