Sunday, December 21, 2008

Tis the season for empathy, turkey and time machines to Heaven

It's freezing here and as such, we all huddled in the house today. We did venture out this morning for church and noticed the temperature was -3 degrees (not counting the chilling wind that whipped through the air). Jack had a hard time with the walk from the car to church. He started to cry and exclaimed that he was "frost bit".

After church, we scampered from the car into our nice, warm home. "When it's this cold outside, doesn't it make you feel lucky that you have a nice warm home to live in?" I asked my kids. They both agreed and I commented, "Mr. Scott is probably really cold today. I feel bad for him." (Mr. Scott is the one prominent homeless man that lives in our town.) As I hung my coat up, I heard a whimper and turned around to find Jack, in his little Santa hat, crying.

"What's the matter, Jack?" I asked as I squatted down to his level.

"Mr. Scott is probably so cold. He might freeze to deaf."

"Aww buddy, are you sad for Mr. Scott?"

"Uh huh." he nodded and his chin quivered some more.

Although my heart was breaking, I felt proud that even at his young age, Jack could empathize.

***************************************
Later in the day, Jack started snooping around the kitchen for something to snack on. I overheard him having a conversation with some turkey.

"Turkey...oh turkey!" he sang. "You can't hide from the Jackster. I can smell you turkey!"

I don't even know what to say about that.

***************************************
All the lounging around made for some interesting conversations as Jack pondered the following:

1) Family relations and who is related to each other.
2) What happens when you get to Heaven and if you start out all over as a baby once you are there.
3) If there was a way to build a machine that could get you to Heaven for a visit.

7 comments:

For Myself said...

Ya know...it's too bad he's not much of a deep thinker.

DCD said...

What a great kid!

Badass Geek said...

When I was growing up, there was a blind man who sat outside the local grocery store playing an accordion for tips. I always felt bad for him. It is sweet to hear that Jack has such a big heart.

Erica said...

Ohmygoodness, your kids are the cutest things ever. Jack is so sweet!

Ms Picket To You said...

I wish number three were true...

Merry Christmas to JenW and Megan and Jack and Jay!

bernthis said...

It's amazing how kids think. I sometimes feel like a kid when I say that I really do hope that we can see all our loved ones over there. You know, have a big reunion only this time I get to be prom queen.

Carolyn...Online said...

Won't it be weird if it turns out that Jack's right?!