Monday, January 19, 2009

The curious case of Jack W.


Early this morning I heard the familiar creak of Jack's bedroom door opening. Then...pitter patter of little feet coming down the hallway and stopping at my bedroom door. "Anyone home???" called Jack into my dark bedroom.

"Me." I responded with as much enthusiasm as I could muster for 5:55 AM.

"Momma, can I sleep with you?"

"Sure Jack, climb on in." I said without moving.

Jack took a moment to climb into my bed with all his stuff (blanket and stuffed animals) and laid down next to me. I felt his cold little feet on my leg and we stayed that way silently for a few moments. Then the conversation began...

Jack: Momma?
Me: Yes.
Jack: Can you turn around so I can see your face?
Me:---
Jack: Momma- turn around so we can face each udder.
Me (rolling over): Okay.
Jack (hugging me): I love you Mommy.
Me: I love you too buddy...so much.
Jack: You love me so much.
Me: Yes I do.
Jack: I'll always be your baby.
Me: Uh huh.
Jack: Even when I'm all grown up I'll still be your baby, right?
Me: Yes. You will always be my baby.
Jack: Momma, what if you were born big and then got smaller and smaller?
Me: You mean if you were born like an old man and grew into a baby?
Jack: Uh huh. And then if you were a baby and you stayed like that forever and ever.
Me: That would be weird.
Jack: Could that happen?
Me: No that's not the way it works.
(pause...pause...)
Jack: Momma, can we go downstairs now?
Me: Sure.

12 comments:

Becca said...

OMG seriously? i had this same conversation with my son the other day. almost word for word

Carolyn...Online said...

Jack just wakes up trippy.

For Myself said...

When Jack is in fifth grade, please arrange to have him in my class, because I HAVE GOT to teach him how to write this stuff down. That imagination needs to be recorded. (Good thing you're on it for the time being!)

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Awwwww. Kids indeed say the darnedest things!

Dana's Brain said...

So funny - I totally don't face Jake when he comes into our bed in the early AM either. *If my back is to you I can pretend I am going to get more sleep*

Never works out that way!

MammaDawg said...

Dag-nabbit - that Jack is just too darn cute!

My little one sneaks in at 3am. Of course, he hogs the entire bed and when I can't go back to sleep, I end up bringing him back to his room.

And then starting my day. I've no idea how I'm still awake - lol!

Erica said...

Ohmygoodness. So cute. Even at 5:55 am. My guy still tells me he is "my baby" too. Though, he doesn't get quite as good a reception from me at that time of day, lol.

The Floydster said...

I guess it would be pretty hard to go back to sleep after such a conversation as that. Might as well get up and going, right? (Have I completely given myself away as a childless woman?)

Badass Geek said...

Cute kid.

cIII said...

All that gol-damned Cuteness.....
That's how they get you.

The Force is strong with them.

bernthis said...

Okay, if this isn't the reason we have kids, what is?

Ms Picket To You said...

why did this make me cry? maybe because the GFYO asks me what pigs are made of. and i don't think anyone's gonna get a movie deal out of that.

i just lurve Jack.