Saturday, January 24, 2009

I gave in and let her get holes in her ears

There are milestones in a girl's life- First dates, first days of school, the first time she is allowed to have a sleep-over, or wear make-up, or a bra. Today Megan had one of her firsts. Megan got her ears pierced.

I thought this milestone would come a few years from now. My rule was that she had to be in 4th grade. I was in 4th grade when I got my ears pierced so it seemed like a good guideline. But, like most other things now-a-days, kids are doing things sooner. And so it began... "So-and-so has their ears pierced" and "Guess who got their ears pierced?" I was taking those arguments in stride and handling them one at a time. It was manageable. Until...the 5-day no school extravaganza courtesy of Mother Nature and her "gift" of sub-zero temperatures. Stupid winter- but whatever. So five days locked in a house with Megan pleading her case for earrings day after day after day after day. I admit it. I was weak. I (gulp) caved and told her that she could get her ears pierced under the following conditions:

1) I am allowed to take a before picture.
2) I am allowed to take an after picture.
3) No matter how bad the first ear hurts while being pierced, she was going to get the second ear done- no matter what.
4) If she does not follow the rules with taking care of the earrings, we would take them out and let the holes close.

She agreed to it all. So today I took her to the mall to get her ears pierced but before we left the house, I attempted to cash in on my request for the before picture.

Attempt #1- FAIL


Attempt #2- FAIL

Once we got to the mall, I had her cornered. Megan picked her earrings although she said she wasn't "happy with the selection they had available" and sat down in the chair. This was my opportunity for the before picture and she was much more agreeable.

And then she started to get a bit nervous.

But not as nervous as I was. My heart was beating fast. I'm not sure why I was so nervous but then Megan wanted me to hold her hand so I calmed down quickly with her hand in mine. She was a trooper. She didn't even flinch and it was over just as fast as it started- milestone complete.

Just like that my baby had earrings...


9 comments:

Dana's Brain said...

My Dad always said not until I was 16. But then my stepmom convinced him to let me get them when I was 13. (Yay, Tricia!)

We will see how long I last when that battle begins with Maggie. Megan looks adorable!

LilSass said...

For some reason she looks so much like Jack in these pictures. Haha, not cause she has earrings but something about the angle and her goofy smile = Jack!

Julie B. said...

Aww..she looks beautiful and what a pretty smile!

Lori said...

OMG! She IS growing up! I am proud of both of you! My Mom caved when I was in third grade... have her tell Megan the "girl who was brushing her hair story".

For Myself said...

What a BIG DAY! I'm jealous that you thought to record the event with pictures. Great idea for a beautiful little sweetie.

Yay for firsts! (that one, anyway...)

Carolyn...Online said...

I'm having the same battle with Parker. It's maddening. I told her 13. Then 12. Now 10. It wears you down.

The Floydster said...

I remember my sister patiently waged a 4 year war to get her ears pierced (my parents first bottom line was age 16.) Carolyn's right -it does wear a parent down. (Interestingly enough, my sister's name is Carolyn. Just thought I'd throw that in.)

Becca said...

did she cry? I cried. I was in 4th grade too

and then it was hell. i have ultra sensitive skin and the holes never ever completely healed and would flare up at random earrings, even gold. So i stopped wearing earrings in high school.

But the holes will sometimes still get infected and sore to this day. And then a few months back (i am 39 now so this is s while) one of the holes swelled up red and sore. I put my thumb behind my ear and pushed it forward to see the hole better in the mirror and what did i see??? the outline of the star-shaped stud they used to pierce my ear 3 years ago. the other ear has it too still. weird.

Ms Picket To You said...

do NOT tell this to Bridget. she is the only fourth grader IN THE WHOLE WORLD to not have her ears pierced. or have a cell phone. i am so so mean.