Thursday, January 29, 2009

The solution to all your parenting problems...Talk like Yoda.

In addition to Jack's teacher being pregnant, his Aunt Lori is also expecting a baby this summer. Megan is well aware, and excited about, the impending new family arrival (scheduled for delivery this summer) but Jack isn't quite aware of it, yet. I was kind of taking the route where I would wait until he started commenting on how fat Aunt Lori was getting and then I would explain that it was...well, because she was growing a human being inside her tummy. This is where Jay and I differ in our parenting techniques. I willingly address and acknowledge subjects like body parts, puberty and having babies. I figure if the kids ask, you should answer their questions. Jay on the other hand...well, let me put it like this- I think if it was socially acceptable to do so, Jay would opt for explaining a baby's arrival using phrases like "The stork dropped it off" and/or "A UFO with aliens deliver it from outer space".

I've been on a business trip this week for work and due to some scheduling complications, Aunt Lori graciously agreed to come by and baby-sit. Now, Lori reads my blog and she had a couple questions after reading this post Here is the email exchange:

Lori: Billy is probably coming with me tomorrow. I think we are coming out as soon as we both get home and changed. We are both excited to see the kids. Does Jack know we are having a baby? I am nervous for him to ask questions based on Jen's blog!!!!!!

Jay: I don’t think Jack really knows. I don’t know why you and Jen feel like you have to answer his questions. If he asks a question you are uncomfortable with, just do what I do… Talk like Yoda and say something like, “Many questions you ask young Jedi. Tired I am of talking. Prepare to battle!!!!” He’ll forget all about it.

14 comments:

Dana's Brain said...

That is the most brilliant thing I have ever heard. I'm going to start using it immediately!!

Carolyn...Online said...

That. is. awesome. Can Jay come play with us this summer when we're in Chicago?

Badass Geek said...

Yeah, that'd totally work for me, too.

LilSass said...

Oh yeah, milk that 'distracted by a shiny object' thing for as long as possible. I like this approach. Um, not to mention, little miss big britches Megan will probably tell him all about babies at some point, right?

Twenty-Something said...

That man should write a book.

MilesPerHour said...

I am definitely passing this on!

Ms Picket To You said...

Jay's right: that works every time.

Becca said...

excellent parenting skills you teach, paduwan

Laura said...

Maybe it's best for your son: he'll know that one parent will tell him as it is and the other will fabricate all sorts of stories. There's the fictionalized version and the documentary version of life, he gets to pick which one he wants/needs at each important part of life.

For Myself said...

Brace yourself Aunt Lori! Kids can smell a truth-teller a mile away! If he thinks there's even the tiniest bit of hope that you'll give it to him straight, he'll pester till it's out for good. One little eye shift when you're making up a story or distracting him and...well Aunt Lori....you're doooooomed!

Erica said...

Hysterical. We're the opposite of you guys, I think - I'm definitely more likely to change the subject and he explains everything to our son.

Lori said...

When I read his e-mail response, I actually, started laughing and read it out loud to my TA. I think it explained a lot for her.

bernthis said...

Just ask him if he wants to have a sword fight.

The Mother said...

That might work NOW, but someday it'll come back to haunt you. Probably in some public place. Loudly.