Sunday, February 8, 2009

Updates on my pledges

So I'm trying to live up to the pledges I set for myself. So far, so good. I donated blood last week. It was just like I remembered and the lady told me that it had actually been 4 years since I donated last. Ouch.

I also filled out my volunteer form for the American Cancer Society and hope to begin helping out at events next week. I can count on one hand the number of people in my lineage who became ill and/or died of something other than cancer. Seriously, when I fill out my family's medical history, the cancer section reads like a who's who list: Lung cancer, stomach cancer, prostate cancer, skin cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer and pancreatic cancer all run in my bloodline. I'm sure I'm missing some from the list but you get the idea. So unless a cure for the big C happens in my lifetime, I can say with a decent amount of certainty that unless I die in some horrible accident, I will likely meet my demise with the big C. At any rate, I'm passionate about this cause and am looking forward to helping.

My other pledges are making progress as well. I've mostly stopped using plastic at the grocery store and purchased reusable totes to carry my groceries. I've also been trying out some new, eco-friendly household products. I was skeptical at first because I've come to believe (for whatever reason) that chemicals were the only way you could really get something *clean*. Clorox wipes run rampant at my house and I always have this little voice in the back of my head that wonders, is it really a good idea to put food on the counter I just "cleaned" with bleach and other toxins? I'm also that same person that fills both cups in my dishwasher to overflowing with dishwasher detergent- just to make sure it works.

So, anyhoo...I tried out a few products from Ecostore USA and am wondering if anyone else has used this brand? This is my first toe-dip in the eco-friendly pool so I'm not even sure what other alternatives exist out there but have to say, I was pleasantly surprised.


My favorite of all the products that I tried was the Auto Dish Powder. According to the label, it only requires one tablespoon per load. I totally rolled my eyes after reading that. I thought, there is no way a single tablespoon of powder, without all the chemicals, will work. But I have to say, it works. I can't believe that it does, but it does. My dishes were just as clean as any other load.



I've also started using the spray cleaner instead of my Clorox wipes. I feel better about using this on my counters- especially where my family is eating. I like the citrus smell of it, too.




I also have the toilet cleaner but I have to say, I got this more for my cleaning lady than I did for me but I tried it and it seems to work well, too. I loathe cleaning toilets of any kind. But seeing as Jack is only 5, he can uh... how should I say this...he can miss his target from time to time. So with the amount of toilet cleaning that should be happening around here, I feel good about not flushing a bunch of toxins down the toilet.

So all in all, I'm feeling pretty good about my progress. Toot, toot! (That's the sound of me tooting my own horn on the pledge progress).

8 comments:

bernthis said...

I let go of my cleaning lady a few months ago and decided to go green(er) I literally had the exact same thought as you regarding the "do I want my kid to eat something off this counter that I just wiped with chemicals to "clean" it?"

I bought "green" 409 like spray and just got 'green" pledge stuff for the floors. Where did you get your stuff? I have to laugh b/c we both have/had the same attitude towards this stuff but I'm a new convert and willing to believe it works just as well if not better.

Jen W said...

@bernthis My fellow convert :) The products in the US are only available online (ecostoreusa.com) right now (I think) but they are supposed to be in the retail store Mejier starting this spring.

For Myself said...

I have a rotten stinkin cold right now, and I'm all about the hardcore BLEACH. Maybe when I'm healthy again I'll give the greener stuff a go.

Love your follow through, btw. Go, Jen, Go!!

Carolyn...Online said...

You mean that whole "better living through chemicals" was all a lie?

I just washed a load of towels with lemon juice to see if it would get the moldy ass smell out. Because the Clorox didn't work. I might be going green.

Becca said...

toot away! good for you

Lori said...

I am switching over to the JASON brand of bath and body- the body wash is good, and the face wipes are GREAT. And much cheaper than the name brands I usually use! ONE word of warning- using Tom's deodorant and NOT an anti-perspirant has been unpleasant. Not sure I can pull that one off. We use vinegar to wash our really dirty clothes, it works.

Jeanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanie said...

I just wrote quite a lot but it all vanished because I said no to the display non secure stuff. Oh well, I will make this shorter.
I love the reusabe bags, If I forget them I have them put everything in cart without anybags and bag them when I get to my car. I get some strange looks sometimes but I feel it brings some awareness to this whole plastic=oil thing.
My main blog is not with blogger. It is www.gypsychant.com. I focus on holistic family, massage,parenting and health. Hope you enjoy as I have enjoyed your site.