Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Us girls still know how to party like it's 1993...actually, not so much.

Last weekend I went downtown for a college friend's birthday party. I have to say I was counting the minutes until it was time to leave and I'm not totally sure but I think I may have left skid marks in my driveway as I left. Not that I don't love my family. I do. They are near and dear to my heart. But lately, I've been spending too much time in the house. I haven't been traveling for work the way I used to so I'm now working from home 100% of the time, and the weather has been horrendous. The side effect of this is that I basically never leave my house but for 15 minutes a day to get my kids off to school. Essentially the only human contact I have is with Jay and the two shorties that live in my house. Megan asked the other day what coat she should wear and...well, I couldn't tell her- I hadn't been outside in days and had absolutely no idea what the weather was like. I'm really starting to feel like Sandra Bullock from the movie The Net (You know the movie from the mid-1990's where she works from home, orders pizzas online and none of her neighbors ever see her? Yeah, that's me now, except she's waaaay better looking than me, and for the most part, I still use the phone to order my pizzas.)

So needless to say, I was pretty excited to get out of the house. And hanging out with my college girlfriends???? Forget about it! I automatically feel like I'm 20 all over again. So downtown we went to party like it was 1993...and therein lies the problem. Just because my mind feels like I'm 20 again, doesn't mean that my body agrees.

There was cocktailing and dancing... lots of it. Oh, and plenty of photos to remember the evening by. Just a few middle-age ladies out for a night on the town.






...and then more cocktails...







And there you have it...obviously way too many cocktails.



Don't get me wrong, the signs of age were there. They were subtle at first. Like the fact that my vocal chords can't handle screaming over the music for multiple hours on end. As I tried to hold a conversation, my voice started to give out. But in my defense, my middle-age cohort's ears might not be as good as they used to be, either. I can't remember exactly what the conversation was about. I just remember thinking what I was saying was hilarious and my friend kept saying, "What?!?" every time I repeated myself... until about the fourth time. Then she laughed and I thought she finally heard me and got what I was saying. Then, she looked at me and said, "I know you are going to kill me but...what?"

I began to notice some other subtle differences between the 1993 version of Us and the 2009 version of Us.

1) Instead of drinking and dialing our "boyfriends" at the end of the night, we all called home before 8:00 PM so as not to wake the kids.

2) When we get home at 1:30 AM, now we say, "I can't believe I stayed out until 1:30!" instead of "It's only 1:30?!? Where is the after hours?"

3) And most of all, instead of sleeping until noon the next day, we still get up early like we are programmed to do and fight off the post-drinking haze with an Imitrex and 800 mg Ibuprofen. Oh yeah, I said it... 800 em-gees. I'm crazy smart like that. (Actually my friend is crazy smart like that and loaned me said 800 mg Ibuprofen)

But I'd do it again in a minute.

9 comments:

Badass Geek said...

Yeah.... I'm still in my 20's, and even though I'm a guy, I don't think I'd be able to handle too much of that.

Aimeepalooza said...

Awesome. It's fun to do that every once in a while!

Becca said...

you know, that sounds awesome, except the getting up the next day part

LilSass said...

Jen, you're so adorable. I feel like I had seen pictures of you before but upon review of these ones, those two shorties in your house look SO MUCH like you!! OLY.ISHT!!

So glad you had a fun night. Every night I've spent downtown always lead to lots of drunken revelry and lots of liver damage the next day following Ibuprofen usage. So so bad!!

Carolyn...Online said...

There's nothing like a night out screaming and laughing with your chicks.

Laggin said...

Even if you feel like crap the next day, it IS rejuvenating isn't it?

Dana's Brain said...

Totally worth the crappy after-effects! So psyched you had such a good time!

Nash's Mom said...

There's nothing in the world like a good girlfriend fix! Sounds like fun and I'm a bit jealous.....

Ms Picket To You said...

i think this is a flash forward to chicago 7/09...