Thursday, March 19, 2009

Haircut snafu

Seeing as I was a teenager in the 1980's, I have a number of stories that entail embarrassing hair moments. These range from the less than poofy bangs after swimming class when my Clicker curling iron ran out of butane, to the flat hair caused on a humid day when my Aqua Net hairspray ran out, to the hideous poodle perm that I had where the stylist assured me that it would "relax" in a week or two, to my favorite...

My friends from high school call it the "Even Steven Haircut" or it is also known as the time Jen got a not-so-super-cut-from-Super-Cuts. I won't go into a lot of detail but suffice to say, I left the salon crying because my bangs were totally uneven. And I'm not talking about the "oh, they're just a little off and I can fix it on my own when I get home" kind of uneven. I'm talking about the "These bangs are at a 45 degree angle uneven and the stylist should have her license pulled" kind of uneven. I remember coming home and calling my friends to come over- begging them to help me fix it. I also remember them walking in and rolling on the floor laughing once they saw me. By the time we were done, uh..."fixing it", my bangs were about 1/2 inch in length.

Anyway, I say all this because Jack got his haircut over the weekend...at a place called Great Clips. The first day he came home I didn't even notice anything amiss. But as the days have gone by, I can't stop fixating on the bangs. So much so that going forward, this haircut in my mind will be known as the not-so-great-clip-from-Great-Clips.

11 comments:

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

I know those 45 degree bangs so well. I can solve the mystery of why the woman cut your bangs like that, too. I know this because I demanded an explanation when it happened to me. The long side of the bangs was supposed to be sprayed and flipped over the short side, like a teenager's version of a combover.
You see? It makes no sense.

You could even try it with your son, but therapy's expensive.

Carolyn...Online said...

All I can think is thank god it didn't happen to Megan.

Dana's Brain said...

My Father-In-Law was taking Jake to his "girl" to have his haircut for awhile. The bangs were SO god-awful we finally had to put a stop to it. Slanting sideways every time.

Badass Geek said...

Oh. So they look kind of like my hair does now, after letting my mother give me a trim.

Becca said...

my son's hair grow forward from the crown of his head and I have to stand next to any hair stylist and physically restrain them from trimming his bangs straight across, or he ends up looking like frankenstein. So his hair looks like this on purpose, but it's better than the alternative.

MilesPerHour said...

What's the problem? My hair looks like that...oh, that's the receding on the one side. bleh

bernthis said...

If it were me, I'd just do it myself next time. Not the whole cut, I couldn't, but the bangs. Great clips? How about crooked clips r us?

x said...

Did the Hair Clips lady hand Jack the scissors?

Nash's Mom said...

You know what's funny? Nash got a haircut this weekend (Snip-its) and I thought his were TOO straight! Surely there is happy medium out there for us....

Aimeepalooza said...

OMG. Those are some crooked bangs. I hope Jack is too little to care or notice. Boys seem to have that luxury in general.

Lori said...

I saw the picture BEFORE I read it and I thought the post was going to be about Jack cutting his OWN hair. I cannot believe you paid for this. I had a really bad haircut in college and Jay asked, "How much did you pay?" Me, "Seven dollars" Jay, "You pay for a seven dollar hair cut you GET a seven dollar hair cut"... I never went back.