Thursday, April 30, 2009

What's that you ask? Where have I been? Well, some days I've been standing in the rain, or sitting on a garbage can

Well, I've gone and done it. I've become one of those pseudo bloggers who claims to be a blogger and then just totally falls off the face of the earth. I usually have some funny little tid bits about Megan and Jack to share but well, I have barely seen them in the past week so I have no idea what they are doing. As of Monday 4/27, I am officially a Chicago commuter. I took a new job that requires me to actually shower and put on make-up every day (gasp) and then herd myself like cattle onto a train to head into the Windy City every morning.

All I know is I should have taken a job outside the home a long time ago. I kid, but I must say it was nice to come home after my first day in the "office" to flowers and a steak dinner from my husband and then to be smothered with hugs and kisses from the kids every day.

The commuting experience sounded very glamorous. I imagined myself looking all swanky, with my coffee in one hand and ipod in the other moseying onto the train every morning. Uh yeah...not so much. It's more like try not to make eye contact with anyone as you shove them out of the way to get one of the last remaining open seats. I didn't realize you had to be so aggressive and so I spent one of my commutes this week sitting on the garbage can on the train. I wish I was joking.

Anyway, so we are adjusting. Tonight, I put Megan to bed and she kissed me goodnight and then took her blanket and said, "Look Mom, I'm making out with my blanket." I said, "How do you even know what making out is? You are seven."

"I don't know, I just know it."

I sighed and said, "Well I guess pretty soon I'm going to have to tell you about the facts of life."

Megan looked at me strangely and said, "Facts of life? What are those? Does it include pie???"

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes..."sugar pie!" I think you can wait a bit for the "talk". LOL Gma

Badass Geek said...

Making out with a blanket would make for a killer case of dry mouth.

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

If they are done right, they always include pie.

Dana's Brain said...

Congrats on the new job!

I wish when I was told about the Facts of Life it included pie. Pie makes everything better!

Ms Picket To You said...

This makes me happy because I was getting a little WASSUP WIT JENW, which is pretty much some pot/kettle calling.

Just think of all the commuter tales of woe you can make us laugh about...

For Myself said...

Let me just say thay you are in for a very full life of chaos and rushing and some ammended standards, but it is a crazy, full, exciting, duplicitous, collapse-on-the-couch life that you are SURE you are living to the vesry fullest. Good luck. Have fun. Keep your sense of humor. Keep your sense of humor. Keep your sense of humor.

SF housewife said...

Keep up the good work, Jen !

The Floydster said...

I will remember this post the next time I have pie, and I will smile really big.

Carolyn...Online said...

I wish all talks involved pie.

Congrats on the job. I keep thinking if I just worked elsewhere no one would expect me to do the laundry. That's really enough of a push for me I think. Save me a spot on the trashcan.

Kari said...

Does it include pie. That is hilarious! Although, I guess sometimes, it does include pie!

Welcome to the world of commuting Mommies. Fun, isn't it?! Although, I have to admit that I drive into work, so I never have to fight for a seat myself.

Claudeen said...

hey buen -- congrats on the new job!!

Claudeen Again said...

UM making out with my blanket?1 that is so funny --- and the pie thing ---- ha!!