Tuesday, May 12, 2009

She was put on this earth to humble me.

I swear, sometimes I think Megan was put on this earth just to humble me. If I ever have any doubt that I am funny, great-looking, profound etc. I just have to have a few moments with Megan and she brings me right back to reality. I exaggerate a bit on that point but I suppose anyone with a daughter older than three understands what I mean.

The other day, I was driving Megan and Jack to school and I can't remember how it came up but I was telling them a story about my brother...

Me: So this one time, Uncle Scott and I were at my Grammie's house. It must have been a holiday like Easter because we were dressed up. Uncle Scott saw a ketchup package on the ground and thought it would be a good idea to smash it with his foot. It splattered all over my Grammie's white pants.

Jack: OOoooooohhhhh....

Me: Yup. Grammie was not very happy with that. She was really mad-Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever seen her so mad.

Megan: Yeah, well she must have liked you a lot better than Uncle Scott after that, huh?

Me: Not really. She was just mad. Just because you get mad at someone doesn't mean you like them any less.

Then I decided this was an ideal teaching moment. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw Jack looking at me, and Megan peeking out the window.

Me: For instance, when either of you do something wrong to make me or Daddy mad, do you think it means we love you any less?

Jack: No! You always love us.

Me: That's right! We always love you no matter what. So if you ever get in a situation where you are in trouble and you are afraid to tell me or Daddy, you should always remember....

Megan (interrupting me, thick with sarcasm and enormous eye roll): Oh great- another speech. *sigh*

8 comments:

Badass Geek said...

Man, oh man.

Obviously there isn't much of a brain-to-mouth filter for her yet.

Dana's Brain said...

I know I shouldn't be laughing - but that is pretty damn funny. She's gonna be trouble with a capital "T"!!

SF housewife said...

It's good to have a mother who will tell stories all the time.

Lori said...

She seems so YOUNG to be sick of the speeches already!

MilesPerHour said...

That's pretty funny. As I have gotten older I have become so much more of a speech-giver. I said I never would-lol.

Prometheus said...

How old is she?

Jen W said...

@Prometheus She's 7 going on 17... sigh.

Carolyn...Online said...

Girls man. They're nothing but trouble.

How do these teenagers get into the body of our 7 year olds?