Friday, May 8, 2009

This is why I love my extended family

Email is a major form of communication for my family. Even more now that everyone is so busy, it's really one of the main ways we stay in touch. And they are funny, and supportive and just- well...the best. Example of a recent email communication:

Mother-in-law: OK Girls. Wardrobe help needed. Getting clothes ready for wedding this weekend... Planning to wear one of two black dresses...one is all black, the other has a slight pin stripe in it. Will most likely wear open toed black strap heels. Question: Does anyone wear hose anymore even if the legs are winter white? Jen, I plan to bring both dresses and you can help me choose. If it is OK with you, I will just leave them at your house until we come again for the other wedding. Then I don't have to worry about transporting them back and forth. You really lose practice in dressing up if you only do it once in a blue moon. Interested in your opinions. M

Sister-in-law "B"- Interesting debate on the nylons. I never wear nylons but I think a wedding is different - it is a more formal affair so I don't think it would be inappropriate to wear nylons. I think it depends more on the style of dress and length of skirt, but I do think you can have winter white legs and not wear nylons. It also depends on the shoes. I'm interested in others' opinions. I'm sure there is some website to tell you what would be appropriate. Not seeing the dresses but just based on description, I would think you'd want the solid black. A pinstripe tends to be more daytime formal. Perhaps we need pictures . . . . :)

So, things I have learned about raccoons. 1. They can amazingly flatten their bodies. 2. The squeaky noise they make is quite loud. 3. It does not appear that they come out every day - still being determined but I have evidence of this fact. 4. They don't see too well which is proved by little kids faced pressed against window panes staring at an emerging raccoon. 5. 1 piece of chicken, 2 cat food cans and 4 marshmallows will not attract them into a cage. 6. and my favorite . . . they can really appear to snub their noses if they are not interested in #5.

Jay (my husband): At the risk of being persecuted, I say no nylons with open toed shoes is the fashion rule. Fashion smashion - do what you like. I hate raccoons.

Sister-in-law "Lori": NO NYLONS WITH OPEN TOED SHOES EVER UNDER ANYCIRCUMSTANCES> THAT IS WHYSLINGBACKS WERE INVENTED> I think you could wear either dress but try them on with the nylons and see what looks the best. You can always wear black nylons.

Me: Ditto to the previous comment regarding no nylons with open toe shoes -unless you are over 80 years old...then I am guessing nylons would be better than what is underneath.

Hilarious insights into raccoons. Did you know that frogs can squeal when they are cornered in a window well and you poke at it with a shovel? Just saying...

Sister-in-law "B": Good to know about frogs. I wonder who will squeal louder if they are thrown together in the same room?????

8 comments:

Dana's Brain said...

Love it! Especially all the useful raccoon and frog info. Also? NO nylons with open toe shoes - EVER! If worried about winter white legs just get some of that Jergens moisturizer with the self tanning stuff in it - couple of days of that can do wonders.

Carolyn...Online said...

First of all, I love your MIL and I'm so glad you have her.

Second, Jay... really? I mean you're right of course but really?

Badass Geek said...

Frogs do squeal. It's frightening.

For Myself said...

I'm not sure what's going to haunt me more: the image of squeeling frogs (gross) or old lady toes (ewww) or the idea of someone wearing open-toed shoes with stockings (yuck).
You're taking very good care of each other in your family!

x said...

Fun stuff. And, for what it's worth, I say NO nylons. Who cares how white her legs are? Winter white can be beautiful if you embrace it.

Becca said...

hahahha...Love the raccoon part and Jay's fashion opinion....

Lori said...

And I hear she went with the Jergen's moisturizer.

Nash's Mom said...

Clearly you need to send an occasional random email to this circle of family members just to get and publish their responses!

I think I need a raccoon update before I find out what your MIL wore to the wedding.....