Thursday, June 11, 2009

I'll follow you anywhere

Jay is off to a big adventure today. His friend Steve convinced him a few months back to go on a week-long bike tour through the Colorado Rockies called Ride the Rockies. At first Jay wasn't sure but then they started thinking about it- kids are getting more busy, not less every summer and let's face it, although we aren't "old", yet... rounding the corner to 40 doesn't make you feel like a Spring chicken. So the sense of adventure set in and Jay agreed. And since Jay doesn't do anything half-assed, he fully committed to it. He bought a new bike; he bought new bike shoes, and then bike shoe covers because his feet were getting cold during their rides; he needed to look like a biker so he bought bike clothes...and then he trained...and trained...and trained. He's ready- mostly. But he certainly has some concerns.

First and foremost is the luggage. You can only have one bag and it has to weigh less than 70 pounds. When you factor in a tent, sleeping bag, and clothes for a week, that's just not a lot of space. So for the last 5 days, I've watched Jay pack and unpack and pack and unpack-lament about the lack of space- and pack and unpack again.

A larger concern is missing the family. He's never been apart from us for this long and really, never been away from the kids for longer than about 4 days. He's going to be gone for 10. Megan is old enough to understand lengths of time and she's already missing him and he hasn't even left yet. She asked me the other day if Daddy's trip would be longer than my trip to Brazil was (when I went there for 6 days a couple years ago) and when I said yes, you could physically see her getting bummed out.

Anyway- in order to keep in touch, Jay has set up a Twitter account to "tweet" about his trip, post pictures, etc. The friend that he's going with set up a Twitter account, too and I'm looking forward to seeing their banter. I'm expecting some real hilarity because there have been times when I've called Jay's friend, "his other wife". They bicker like an old married couple and have been friends since they were kids. Now I'm just hoping someone else besides me, his friend and some girl named "Horny Sophie" follow him to enjoy the 140 character or less banter!!

4 comments:

Carolyn...Online said...

Horny Sophie? Seriously?

Dana's Brain said...

Ooo, I have an aunt who has done that ride. Good for Jay! Hope you keep your sanity while he's gone.

For Myself said...

That is going to be some sort of awesome. I'm totally jealous of him, but A) I could never train diligently enough and B) my chances of keeping the bag under 70 lbs. would be nil.

MammaDawg said...

lol - this could be quite amusing. Keep us posted on the big adventure - it's the closest I think I'll ever get to a week-long bike tour. ;) Whew!