Friday, July 24, 2009

I'm doing it.

Tonight, I will be stepping out of my comfort zone. Really and truly outside of my comfort zone. I am social in circumstances where I know the people I'm with. I'm at my best in those situations. Put me in a crowd of people where I know no one? Uh, yeah- I'm getting hives just thinking about it. I imagine myself wandering aimlessly through a crowd of people gripping my Blackberry and pretending what I'm looking at on that screen is of most importance to avoid the awkward eye contact and lack of witty things to say.

Last year at this time, I envisioned what it would be like to go. And then I got an email from Carolyna few weeks ago...

It's Carolyn Online. How've you been? I think that new train ride to work is cutting into your blog writing time.

Are you still planning to go to Blogher? You know our door is open for you to stay with us at the hotel. Also, if you're going, Darcy and I just rsvp'd to the MamaPop party on Friday night. You just go to the mamapop website and leave a comment - that's the rsvp for the party.


I said yes and left it at that. I told Jay I was doing it. And a few weeks went by without another word. I started to talk myself out of it because I'm anxious like that.

And then the other email came from Ms. P....

Are you spending the night with me and Carolyn? You are
welcome to, and I hope you will!!! ...If you are (AND YOU BETTER BE), please bring a cooler. Seriously! There is no way we can keep the joint jumping with a coupla ice tubs from down the hall.

Lemme know.


I mentioned the email to Jay. His response? "Why wouldn't you go???" And then my resolve was strengthened. So I'm going. To Blogher. With Ms. P. and Carolyn...Online. And I'm bringing a cooler. And I can't wait.

Oh, and did I mention that they are authors? These two lovely ladies wrote a book. Oh yes, they did.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you....have fun! M
PS Leave the Blackberry home and have fun!

Dana's Brain said...

You are going to have the BEST TIME! I just know it. I will be with you in spirit!

Lori said...

Do tell! I can't wait to hear all about your most awesome time.

Twenty-Something said...

Don't be scared of Darcy. She's just my boss...kind of and she's nice!

Carolyn...Online said...

Thank god you were there! Thank god we laughed at the same things. Thank god you didn't want to do karaoke. Thank god you followed me through the back door of the party. Thank god you also thought the pee standing up thing was bizarre.

I'm so glad you came and so glad I got to finally meet you in real life!

Ms Picket To You said...

And thank god we solved all the worlds problems late into the night.