Monday, September 14, 2009

One of my most vivid memories is of the first time I heard my mother swear. I was probably 9 or so and she was on the phone with a friend. She stood in front of the microwave chatting away and happened to drop her chili dog on the ground. "SHIT!"

I gasped loudly and remember being shocked. It was my first indication that I recall of her being human and not angelic.

Almost 30 years later, with a daughter of my own, I've had my moment...

Megan: Mom, why can't I say (whispering)...crap?
Me: Because it's not a nice thing to say and you can think of something smarter to say.
Megan: But you say it.
Me (lying through my teeth): I do not!
Megan: Yes you do. I read it on a text message you sent Daddy.
Me:...
Megan: So why did you say you don't say it when you do?
Me: Uh, well...uh... Because parents are supposed to lie to you about that stuff.

5 comments:

just making my way said...

Ah yes. It is the explanations that get us in the end!

Skye said...

She has to learn how the world works eventually.

The Mother said...

My mother swore all the time. I couldn't possibly remember the first time I heard her.

It wasn't until I spent my first week in the ER that I figured out just where she learned all those words.

MsPicketToYou said...

Exactly. This is the truth.

I read it in parenting manual somewhere.

x said...

You still don't say it, you "text" it.