Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"The Talk"- Attempt Number One

Well, that didn't go the way I had hoped. *sigh*

I heard from a couple sources (neighbor & nanny)that there is a boy on Megan's bus who told her he wanted to "have sex" with her. I didn't want to appear to be a tattle-tail so I waited to see if she would bring it up...and I waited...and I waited. Then I tried to ask a few generic questions that might open the lines of communication including:

"Are there any boys on your bus that have a crush on you?"
"Who do you normally sit by on the bus?"

Nothing. Zip. Nada.

So I finally decided today while Megan was home sick, I'd just ask her about it.

Me: Megan, can I ask you about something?
Megan: Sure.
Me: I heard that there is a boy on your bus that was saying some things to you.
Megan:...
Me(stammering): You know, like um, things like, "I want to have (gulp) sex with you".
Megan: Uh huh. And he was saying other stuff to me, too.
Me: Really? Like what?
Megan: Um, things like, "You are pretty".
Me: Oh. How did he start saying those things?
Megan: We were playing telephone on the bus and he just started saying things like that.
Me: Why do you think he was saying that?
Megan: I don't know. Maybe because he's weird.
Me: Do you think he knows what it means to "have sex"?
Megan: I don't know.
Me: Do you know what it means to "have sex"?
Megan: No.
Me: Do you want to know?
Megan: No.
Me:Um, okay- well now that you are getting a bit older, I can tell you what it means if you are interested. I mean, when you get a bit older, there will come a time when you will want to know what it means and you can always ask me about it.
Megan: Huh?
Me: Well, um-I'm not sure if the boy knows what it means but when people are older, they use the words "have sex" to talk about how to make babies.
Megan: Eww. Gross.
Me: Do you want to hear more about that?
Megan: Um, no.
Me (backing out of the room slowly): Okay then, well just let me know if you want more details on that and we can talk about it.

That conversation certainly surpassed my expectations. It was even MORE awkward than I ever anticipated!

7 comments:

DCD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
just making my way said...

I don't know - I think you did okay...for your first attempt!

I dread "the Talk."

SF housewife said...

It's good to communicate with our children. Good work.

The Mother said...

Glad to hear that went so well.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carolyn...Online said...

You broached! That's the hardest part.

MsPicketToYou said...

JW -- I haven't gone there yet. AT ALL.

This gives me courage. If only B rode the bus...