Saturday, February 6, 2010

MLK day- A little bit different this time around

Before I had kids, I had an inkling there was a chance that they could be different. I mean, my brother and I were quite different when we were growing up so I figured that it was a possibility for my offspring as well. But I guess you never quite fully realize it until you experience it.

Over the years, I've noticed numerous differences between Megan and Jack. They are each their own unique beings and I love that about them. Now that Jack is in Kindergarten, I find that I'm able to see some of the differences more distinctly since Megan's already been through the same stage in life. It's even more apparent now that Jack is having some of the same projects or activities in school that Megan did.

Case in point- let's take MLK day. Megan and Jack's school has an "I have a dream" activity where the kids share what they would envision the world to be like in their dream. A couple years ago, I was somewhat surprised by Megan's thoughts on this because it seemed quite deep for a six-year old. She put:

"If I had a dream, I would make sure all the women of the world could show their faces. I could help by talking to our President about that."

She was referring to the women in Afghanastan that are required to wear the burkas.

Now, on the other hand, Jack put:

"If I had a dream, I wish all the kids in the world had Lego sets."

See? Different. So there you have it.

5 comments:

msprimadonna67 said...

That sounds exactly like the kind of difference that has shown itself between my oldest two. They certainly experience the world in vastly different ways. I find it pretty cool and fascinating, as it allows ME to experience the world in multiple perspectives: )

Serial Swooper said...

Love it. Kids kill me. Looking forward to nuggets like this from my 5 and 2 year old boys. Completely different already and bound to stun me over and over again.

just making my way said...

Man, Jack and the Wonderboy have the same line of thinking! That's excellent.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, philosophical vs creative? Interesting that both thought about OTHERS no matter what was on their personal agendas. M

Your bro said...

We were different??? :)